Redken offers a wide variety of professional hair color products to help you achieve your ideal hair color. Redken hair colors are divided into several major categories based on the type of color results you want. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the different types of Redken hair color and help you determine which ones may be best for you.
Permanent Hair Color
Permanent hair color, also known as oxidative hair color, penetrates the hair shaft and lasts until the hair grows out or is cut off. Permanent hair color requires a developer to open the cuticle and deposit color inside the hair.
Redken offers the following types of permanent hair color:
- EQ Sealing Shine Permanent Hair Color – Deposits long-lasting, luminous color. Provides up to 30% more shine.
- Color Fusion – Delivers dimensional, vibrant color with anti-fade complex. Enriched with ceramide for stronger hair.
- Shades EQ Permanent Cream Hair Color – Offers consistent, predictable results with intermixable shades. Conditioners help protect hair during coloring.
- Color Gels – Vibrant, sheer gel-crème permanent colors. Conditioners and Fade Resist Complex help protect hair.
Permanent hair color lasts 4-6 weeks on average before new growth becomes visible. It achieves 100% gray coverage and can lighten hair up to 3 shades. Ammonia-free permanent color options are also available for gentle color processing.
Demi-Permanent Hair Color
Demi-permanent hair color deposits color without fully penetrating the hair shaft. It washes out gradually over 4-12 shampoos.
Redken offers the following demi-permanent hair color options:
- Shades EQ Gloss – Conditions while refreshing color between salon visits. Lasts up to 5 shampoos.
- Color Extend Brownlights – Deposits brilliant, sheer brown color with anti-fade complex. Lasts up to 10 shampoos.
- Color Extend Blondage – Neutralizes brassiness and brightens blonde tones. Provides up to 10 shampoos of color protection.
Demi-permanent colors do not require a developer. They cannot lighten hair, but can be used to enhance or tone existing color. Great for color refresh between permanent color services. Provide added shine and condition hair while coloring.
Semi-Permanent Hair Color
Semi-permanent hair color coats the outside of the hair shaft and washes out within 4-6 shampoos. It does not require a developer and is commonly used for short-term, temporary color changes.
Redken offers the following semi-permanent hair color options:
- Color Extend Magnetics – Vibrant, conditioning color with a hint of metallic. Lasts up to 6 shampoos.
- City Beats – Bold, brilliant shades inspired by top fashion capitals. Lasts up to 4 shampoos.
- Shades EQ Vibrance – Ultra-conditioning gloss delivers vivid color. Lasts up to 4 shampoos.
Semi-permanent colors are great for trying a new hair color without the long-term commitment. They cannot lighten hair. Rinses out easily as hair grows. Adds extra shine and condition to hair.
Hair gloss provides sheer color and shine without lift or depositing permanent pigment. Redken offers the following glossing services:
- Shades EQ Sealing Gloss – Seals in color vibrancy and provides luminous shine. Lasts up to 6 shampoos.
- Shades EQ Crystal Clear Gloss – Ultra-shiny, conditioning clear gloss. Helps smooth hair cuticles.
- Diamond Oil Gloss – Shimmering gloss provides brilliant, multi-faceted shine. Also helps detangle and smooth hair.
Hair gloss can refresh color treated hair or add shine to natural hair. Great option in between color services. Temporarily seals hair cuticle for increased smoothness and vibrancy.
Root touch-ups target new growth by applying permanent color just to the regrowth area. This maintains your overall hair color between full color services.
Redken offers the following professional root touch-up options:
- Color Fusion Root Precisionist – Permanent root color with precision applicator.
- Shades EQ Root Touch-Up – Root touch-up mascara for flawless coverage.
- Graydient Root Magic – Disguises gray roots instantly with tinted spray-on mascara.
Root touch-ups provide easy color maintenance between salon visits. Applies permanent color just to new growth to reduce processing time. Refreshes overall color results.
Highlift Blonde Hair Color
Highlift blonde hair color can lighten hair dramatically while depositing toning pigments to counteract brassiness. Redken offers the following highlift options:
- Blonde Idol – Lightens up to 7 levels with triple toning system to fight brassiness.
- Color Fusion – Lightens up to 3 levels while depositing multi-dimensional color.
- Flash Lift – Bonder-Infused Lightener lifts up to 7 levels.
Highlift hair color is perfect for blonde transformations or removing dark shades. Lightens hair and neutralizes unwanted warm tones for beautiful, multi-tonal blonde results. Use with proper developer for desired lift.
Hair Color Remover
Hair color removers work to strip away permanent color pigment from the hair for a dramatic hair color change. Redken offers the following professional hair color remover:
- Colorwash Color Removing System – Removes permanent color buildup while conditioning hair.
Hair color removers provide an alternative to bleach for removing artificial color. Help prepare the hair for newly deposited color during a color correction service.
Hair Color Comparison Chart
Here is a helpful comparison chart summarizing the key differences between Redken’s major hair color types:
|Hair Color Type
|Levels of Gray Coverage
|Permanent Hair Color
|Up to 3 levels
|Demi-Permanent Hair Color
|Semi-Permanent Hair Color
|Matches permanent color
|100% at regrowth area
|Highlift Blonde Color
|Matches permanent color
|Up to 7 levels
|Hair Color Remover
|Removes artificial pigment
Choosing Your Redken Hair Color
When selecting your ideal Redken hair color, consider the following factors:
- Your natural hair color and tone – Know your base to select the right hue and shade.
- Color goals – Do you want to cover grays, lighten, darken, enhance natural color, add shine, or temporarily change color?
- Commitment level – Demi- and semi-permanent colors involve less commitment if you want subtle or temporary color change.
- Hair’s condition – Damaged or overprocessed hair benefits from conditioning color formulas.
- Skin tone – Warm and cool skin tones pair best with certain hair color hues.
- Lifestyle factors – Frequent swimmers or hair washers should avoid permanent colors.
Schedule a consultation with your stylist to determine which Redken hair color products are right for your hair goals and needs.
Mixing and Formulating Redken Hair Color
Redken hair colors are expertly formulated to provide optimal color results. It is not recommended to intermix permanent shades with demi- or semi-permanent shades.
Follow your colorist’s recommendations for the developer volume and timing when applying permanent Redken hair color. Using the proper developer helps control the level of lift and deposit for your desired result.
Redken’s Shades EQ line features an innovative Intermix System that allows infinite customization by blending shades to create custom hues. Consult your colorist on the best shade combinations for your hair.
Application and Processing
Always follow the instructions provided with your specific Redken hair color product for proper application and processing. Here are some general application tips:
- Work in a well-ventilated area and use protective gloves.
- Divide hair into sections using clips. Apply color in 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 inch subsections.
- Use a tint brush or applicator bottle to thoroughly saturate the hair strands.
- Process for the recommended development time based on product instructions.
- Rinse thoroughly until water runs clear to remove excess tint.
- Follow with Redken conditioning or treatment product as recommended.
When using permanent color, perform a strand test first to confirm desired results and color lifting level. Process hair in small sections, monitoring frequently for even saturation and lifting. Rinse hair for a full 5 minutes to ensure removal of all tint residue after processing permanent color.
Maintenance and Follow-Up Care
Proper follow-up care helps keep your hair color looking vibrant in between salon visits:
- Use color-safe shampoo and conditioner designed for color treated hair.
- Wash hair less frequently, using cooler water to make color last longer.
- Use a weekly nourishing hair mask or treatment.
- Protect hair from sun exposure with a hat or spray-in UV filter.
- Use lower heat styling and treatments to prevent fading.
- Get a root touch-up or gloss treatment every 4-6 weeks.
Investing in professional salon quality haircare products like Redken helps maintain your hair color’s vibrancy, shine, and tone.
Types of Redken Developer
Redken offers a few developer options used to activate and process permanent hair color:
- 10 Volume Developer – For delicate toning and glazing. Very mild lift.
- 20 Volume Developer – For most permanent color applications. Lifts 1-2 levels.
- 30 Volume Developer – For lightening up to 3 levels. Higher lift but can dry hair.
- 40 Volume Developer – For maximum lightening of 4 or more levels. Use with caution to prevent damage.
Choose developer strength based on desired lift for the permanent color. 10 or 20 Volume provides gentle, standard lifting. 30 or 40 Volume dramatically lightens hair for blonde looks. Always perform a strand test first before applying high volume developers throughout hair.
Redken Hair Color Cost
On average, expect to invest the following for Redken hair coloring services in salon:
- All-over permanent color – $65-$150
- Partial foils or highlights – $100-$275
- Full highlights or babylights – $150-$350
- Color corrections – $150-$400
- Root touch-up – $50-$100
- Toner or glaze – $30-$80
The exact cost depends on your hair length and thickness, the complexity of the color service, and salon location. Multi-step processes like highlights/lowlights, color corrections, or radical color changes tend to cost more.
Investing in professional salon color services using quality Redken products helps ensure beautiful, healthy, vibrant color that lasts.
With a diverse range of permanent, demi-permanent, semi-permanent, and highlift hair colors, Redken offers solutions for virtually any hair color goal. Their products allow you to subtly enhance your natural color, temporarily change your hue without commitment, or achieve dramatic multi-dimensional color transformations. With the help of a skilled colorist and the right Redken hair color selection, you can find your perfect shade and enjoy fresh, vibrant color.