When it comes to hair color, there are many options to choose from. Two of the most popular categories are permanent hair color and semi-permanent hair color. Permanent hair color penetrates the hair shaft and lasts until the hair grows out. Semi-permanent hair color coats the hair strand and washes out over time. Understanding the difference between permanent and semi-permanent hair color is important when selecting the right formula for your hair goals.
What is Loreal Excellence Creme?
Loreal Excellence Creme is a popular ammonia-free hair coloring product line from Loreal Paris. It is available in a wide range of shades to cover gray hair or create fashion hair colors. Loreal Excellence Creme uses oleo-technology with a nourishing care creme formula. It contains ceramide and collagen for hair conditioning. The color creme formula aims to provide rich, luminous color results.
Is Loreal Excellence Creme permanent or semi-permanent?
Loreal Excellence Creme is considered a permanent hair color. It causes lasting color change by penetrating into the hair cortex. Permanent hair dyes contain developer or peroxide, which opens the hair cuticle and allows color molecules to deposit inside the hair shaft. As the hair grows out, the permanent color stays in the strands and roots need to be re-colored.
Key characteristics of Loreal Excellence Creme as a permanent hair color:
- Uses oxidation with a developer to open cuticle and deposit permanent color.
- Permanently changes natural pigment.
- Provides 100% gray coverage.
- Longer lasting results up to 4-6 weeks.
- Can lighten or darken hair.
- Requires occasional touch-ups as new growth appears.
- Hair must be re-colored once permanent color grows out.
Permanent hair dyes have a higher level of commitment than semi-permanent options. However, Loreal Excellence Creme delivers professional quality results and gray coverage at home. It conditions hair while depositing rich, vivid color.
What is semi-permanent hair color?
Semi-permanent hair color contains no ammonia or peroxide. It simply coats the outside of hair strands with color molecules without opening the cuticle. Semi-perm color washes out over 4-8 shampoos and fades gradually.
Key characteristics of semi-permanent hair color:
- No developer or bleaching/lifting of hair.
- Less permanent results lasting 4-8 shampoos.
- Deposits color on outside of hair shaft.
- Color washes out gradually.
- No irritation from harsh chemicals.
- Conditions hair while coloring.
- Great for trying fashion shades.
- Does not provide gray coverage.
Semi-permanent color offers flexibility with less commitment. However, it cannot permanently change hair pigment or cover grays. For permanent gray coverage and color change, a permanent hair dye like Loreal Excellence Creme is required.
Permanent vs. Semi-Permanent Hair Color Comparison
|Permanent Hair Color
|Semi-Permanent Hair Color
|– Penetrates cortex and cutsicle
|– Coats outer cuticle layer
|– Ammonia & peroxide to open cuticle
|– No ammonia or peroxide
|– Lasts until hair grows out
|– Washes out in 4-8 shampoos
|– Provides gray coverage
|– No gray coverage
|– Can lighten or darken
|– Deposits color only
|– More damage potential
|– Less damage to hair
|– Touch ups needed
|– No touch ups needed
|– Longer lasting color
|– Temporary color
This comparison shows some of the key differences between permanent dyes like Loreal Excellence Creme versus semi-permanent options. Permanent color provides longer lasting results with gray coverage, while semi-permanent adds a temporary color layer with less commitment.
How to use Loreal Excellence Creme
To properly apply Loreal Excellence Creme permanent hair color:
- Shampoo and towel dry hair.
- Prepare the color creme by mixing equal parts colorant and developer in applicator bowl.
- Divide hair into sections using clips.
- Apply color mix thoroughly from roots to ends.
- Let process for full development time.
- Rinse until water runs clear.
- Condition and style as usual.
Always follow the instructions for the specific formula you choose. Development time will vary from 10-30 minutes. Permanent color should never be left on longer than the recommended time.
Tips for best results with Loreal Excellence Creme
- Perform an allergy test 48 hrs before coloring for the first time.
- Protect clothing and skin during application.
- Use the included gloves to apply.
- Work quickly once color and developer are mixed.
- Allow the full processing time before rinsing.
- Use a color-protecting shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat root touch ups every 4-6 weeks.
- Avoid washing hair for 1-2 days after coloring for best results.
Following these tips will help get the most out of your permanent hair color and keep it looking its best.
Loreal Excellence Creme provides high quality, ammonia-free permanent hair color results. It contains ceramide and collagen to care for hair while depositing rich, luminous color. Permanent hair dyes use developer to penetrate the hair shaft for long-lasting color that covers grays. Semi-permanent options coat the cuticle and wash out gradually without lifting or lightening natural pigment. While permanent color requires more maintenance, it provides lasting results and gray coverage that semi-permanent formulas cannot. Using Loreal Excellence Creme properly and maintaining it well will keep hair colored to perfection.