Burgundy is a rich, deep red color that is quite popular for interior design. If you’re looking to mix your own custom burgundy paint, there are a few options for achieving the perfect hue. Keep reading to learn what paint colors to mix to get a true burgundy shade.
The simplest way to mix burgundy paint is to start with the three primary colors – red, blue and yellow. Here is the basic formula:
– 2 parts red
– 1 part blue
– 1/4 part yellow
Mixing more red into the equation will create a deeper, richer burgundy. Adding more blue will give you a slightly cooler, purplish burgundy. And a touch more yellow will warm up the paint color. Feel free to adjust the proportions to fine-tune the shade.
When mixing colors, always start with small amounts and add more as needed. It’s easier to lighten up a color than to darken it.
Pre-Mixed Secondary Colors
You can also use pre-mixed secondary paint colors to achieve a burgundy hue. The secondary colors are green, purple and orange.
Try this combination using secondary paints:
– 2 parts deep red or maroon
– 1 part deep purple
The maroon gives the basic red burgundy tone, while a touch of purple adds depth. Mix the two together thoroughly to get a rich burgundy result.
Another approach is to use complementary colors on the color wheel. These paint color combinations will naturally create a vibrant, complex shade.
To make a burgundy paint with complements, mix together:
– Red and green
– Red-orange and blue-green
Varying the proportions will give you slightly different burgundy shades. Add more red and red-orange for a warmer, brighter burgundy. Use more green and blue-green for a cooler, darker hue.
Brown and Red
For a more muted burgundy tone, you can mix brown and red paint colors.
Try combining these paints:
– 2 parts deep red or maroon
– 1 part brown
Use a dark chocolate brown rather than lighter tans or umbers. This will mix into the red to create a subtler burgundy color.
You can also add a small amount of purple or blue paint to the red-brown mix to enhance the richness of the tone.
Here are some helpful tips for successfully mixing custom burgundy paint:
– Use high-quality paint – Craft paints will give you the best color intensity for mixing. Stay away from dull, low-quality paints.
– Mix in a plastic container – Glass jars can tint the color you’re mixing. Plastic or metal paint trays are a better choice.
– Add color slowly – Gradually incorporate small amounts of the secondary colors into the base red and observe the results.
– Stir thoroughly – Use a paint stick or paddle to vigorously mix together the colors so they fully incorporate.
– Check the tone – Look at your mixed paint in natural daylight to ensure it is the shade of burgundy you desire.
– Add white to lighten – If your burgundy is too dark, you can brighten it up by mixing in some white paint.
– Test on a sample – Brush a bit of the mixed paint onto a spare canvas or wood before committing to a larger project.
Pre-Mixed Burgundy Paint
Of course, the easiest option is to purchase premixed burgundy paint from your local hardware store or paint specialty shop. Many brands offer burgundy tones in various shades.
Here are some popular pre-mixed burgundy paint colors to consider:
|Paint Color Name
With premixed paints, you can skip the mixing step and go straight to painting your burgundy project. Just be sure to get a color sample or swatch before committing to a full can of paint.
Burgundy Paint Projects
Now that you know how to mix and match paint to get the perfect burgundy hue, here are some great ways to use it:
– Paint a feature wall or accent wall in a bedroom
– Use on bookshelves, cabinets or other built-ins
– Paint a front door for curb appeal
– Freshen up dingy kitchen cabinets
– Give furniture pieces a makeover
– Use on an entryway ceiling for a wow factor
Burgundy creates an elegant, luxurious look when used in home decor. It’s eye-catching, yet still versatile enough to work in many rooms and spaces.
Mixing a custom burgundy paint color is a fun DIY project. With some primary colors on hand, or a combination of complementary paints, you can easily achieve the burgundy tone you desire. Pre-mixed burgundy paints are also readily available.
Just follow the color-mixing tips above to create the perfect rich, deep burgundy paint for any project. Test your burgundy paint mix before committing to get the exact shade you love. Soon you’ll have beautiful burgundy paint that dries into a striking, regal color.