Nicki Minaj is well known for her bold and vibrant fashion sense, especially when it comes to her footwear. As one of the most popular female rappers worldwide, Minaj has amassed an impressive sneaker collection over the years, with many of her most coveted pairs coming from Jordan Brand.
Nicki Minaj’s Love for Jordans
As a hip-hop artist, Nicki Minaj has long been a fan of Air Jordans. She has repeatedly expressed her love for the iconic sneakers over her career, mentioning them in her lyrics and frequently sporting rare and coveted pairs. Minaj views Jordans as a stylish status symbol and appreciates their streetwear aesthetic and connection to basketball and hip-hop culture.
Some key reasons why Minaj loves wearing Jordans include:
- Their stylish and statement-making designs
- The ability to stand out from the crowd
- The nostalgic retro styles
- Their high-quality craftsmanship
- The connection to Michael Jordan’s legacy
- Their status as a fashion symbol in hip-hop culture
Minaj has stated that wearing exclusive Jordans makes a “strong style statement” and gives her standout looks that represent her bold and unapologetic brand as a rapper. She appreciates how Air Jordans have become so iconic and recognizable in streetwear fashion.
Notable Jordan Collaborations
Nicki Minaj has partnered with Jordan Brand to release some memorable shoe collaborations over the years.
In December 2014, she worked with Jordan Brand to launch a special “Pink Print” edition of the Air Jordan 6. True to Minaj’s style, the shoe featured a bright pink upper with black accents including a two-tone midsole. Only friends and family pairs of this rare Jordans x Nicki Minaj collaboration were made.
In March 2018, Minaj again teamed up with Jordan to drop two vibrant takes on classic silhouettes. This capsule included:
- Air Jordan 3 Retro MOTW “Pink Suede” – Black nubuck upper with pastel pink suede overlays featuring Minaj’s face on the insole.
- Air Jordan 12 Retro “Nicki” – Black upper with pink accents including a fuchsia outsole.
Both of these shoes were instant hits among fans of Minaj and Jordan Brand collectors. The intricate details like the customized insoles showed Jordan Brand’s appreciation for Minaj’s iconic influence on hip-hop fashion culture.
Notable Air Jordans Worn by Nicki Minaj
While she clearly loves her special collab Jordans, Minaj has been spotted wearing many other coveted Air Jordans over the years.
Here is an overview of some of the most noteworthy Jordans Nicki Minaj has rocked:
|2012||Air Jordan 1 Retro High||Black/Pink||Worn performing at NBA All-Star Game Halftime Show|
|2014||Air Jordan 3 Retro||Wolf Grey||Worn in music video for “Only”|
|2014||Air Jordan 6 Retro||Bright Grape||Matched grape tracksuit she wore during Summer Jam performance|
|2015||Air Jordan 11 Retro Low||Snakeskin||Worn during Made in America Festival performance|
|2016||Air Jordan 12 Retro||Flu Game||Worn to game between LA Lakers vs Houston Rockets|
|2017||Air Jordan 1 Retro High||Top 3||Worn with fishnets and black shorts while out shopping in LA|
|2018||Air Jordan 4 Retro||Kaws Black||Extremely limited collab, worn while arriving to NY Fashion Week|
|2019||Air Jordan 6 Retro||Infrared||Matched with red leather outfit during Carnival in Trinidad|
|2021||Air Jordan 1 Retro High||Bio Hack||Worn with pink wig while on vacation in Turks and Caicos islands|
As shown by this overview, some of Minaj’s favorite Jordan models include the Air Jordan 1, 3, 4, 6, and 12 silhouettes. She likes to match the colors of her Jordans to her overall outfit and hair. Some of her go-to colors include pink, black, white, grey, red, and snakeskin prints. She often coordinates her Jordans with statement pieces like fishnets, wigs, leather, and bright tracksuit sets when performing or making public appearances.
Where Does Nicki Minaj Get Her Jordans?
Nicki Minaj has access to extremely exclusive Jordans thanks to her superstar status and partnership with Jordan Brand. However, she also goes to great lengths to track down some of the rarest Jordans and samples for her collection.
Here are some of the main ways Minaj gets her hands on rare Air Jordans:
- Directly from Jordan Brand – Given their collaborations, Jordan Brand gifts Minaj rare player exclusives and unreleased colorways.
- Private collectors and dealers – Minaj has the connections and money to buy from sneaker collectors with the most in-demand Jordans.
- Traveling – When on tour or traveling, Minaj will hit up local sneaker stores and boutiques to find unique and limited Jordans.
- Online resale – Like anyone, Minaj also scours sites like eBay, Flight Club and Stadium Goods to purchase rare finds.
- Custom pairs – Being a celebrity, Minaj can get custom Jordans made exclusively for her in colorways that pay homage to her brand.
Nicki spares no expense when it comes to tracking down the rarest and most coveted Air Jordans to add to her collection. She has industry connections, flying squad members, security team members, and close friends all on the hunt for the next exclusive pair for her as well.
Influencing Hip-Hop Fashion Culture
As one of the leading female voices in hip-hop, Nicki Minaj has had an undeniable influence on the larger culture of rap fashion. Her bold footwear choices, especially Jordans, have made a significant stylistic impact.
Some of the key ways Minaj has influenced hip-hop fashion culture with her Jordan collection include:
- Proving women look fly in rare Jordans, not just men
- Showing off Jordans as statement pieces that make an outfit pop
- Matching Jordans to complement bright, loud outfit colors
- Customizing Jordans with personalized details like her face on the insole
- Collaborating with Jordan Brand to release female-focused designs
- Inspiring female sneaker culture by proudly showing off her kicks
- Making people more open to bright and unconventional Jordan colorways
Nicki Minaj has helped shift the public perception of Jordans as not just men’s basketball shoes, but as creative fashion statements suitable for women as well. Her enthusiasm for rare Jordans has infected hip-hop fashion culture and sneakerhead community. She shows that women can look just as fly rocking exclusive kicks.
Throughout her career, Nicki Minaj has showcased an affinity for Jordan Brand’s most coveted kicks. While she enjoys rocking classics like the Air Jordan 1 Retro Highs, she also loves their more bold and unconventional designs. Minaj has frequently incorporated rare and custom Jordans into outfits that display her quintessential colorful, eclectic style.
By proudly flaunting exclusive Jordans at major events, in music videos, and on social media, Minaj has helped fuel excitement and demand for Jordan Brand within hip-hop fashion culture and the larger sneaker community. She has collaborated with Jordan Brand multiple times on signature shoes that represent her vivacious spirit. Even with easier access to any Air Jordans she desires, Minaj is still viewed as a serious sneakerhead at heart who appreciates the culture and creativity behind the iconic brand.