Facebook offers a wide variety of free games that users can play right within the Facebook app or website. With genres ranging from puzzles to action to card games, there’s sure to be something for everyone. Here’s an overview of some of the most popular free games currently available on Facebook.
For users who enjoy flexing their mental muscles, Facebook has plenty of free puzzle games to choose from. Here are some top picks:
|Words with Friends
|The classic word game where you try to form words on a board, similar to Scrabble.
|Fill in the blanks of a 9×9 grid with numbers so each row, column, and 3×3 box contains the digits 1-9 only once.
|Switch and match jewels on the board to clear them before time runs out.
|Match tiles to clear the board in this classic Chinese game.
From traditional card favorites to new twists, these free Facebook card games allow you to compete against others or just play for fun.
|The classic single-player card organizing game.
|A trick-taking game where you avoid scoring points by taking tricks with hearts or the queen of spades.
|Try to get card values adding up to 21 or as close as possible without going over.
|Compete against others in this popular version of poker.
For some fast-paced excitement, check out these free Facebook action games.
|Pop matching colored bubbles by shooting bubbles from the bottom in this classic arcade-style game.
|Farm Heroes Saga
|Match crops and collect farm resources in this cute match-3 style game.
|Aim your shots and knock down pins just like real bowling.
|8 Ball Pool
|Compete in one-on-one pool matches with players from around the world.
Exercise your strategic thinking with these engrossing Facebook games.
|Candy Crush Saga
|Clear candy pieces from the board by matching 3 or more of the same color.
|Run your own farm, grow crops and build your farmville empire.
|Play casual poker with friends or compete against others.
|The classic game of chess – play against friends or a computer opponent.
These Facebook games are fun and easy to pick up whenever you have a few free minutes.
|Angry Birds Friends
|Slingshot birds to destroy pig structures in this physics-based puzzle game.
|Build your kingdom by growing crops, building homes and training soldiers.
|Spin the reels on a variety of online slot machines just for fun.
|Words With Friends 2
|Challenge friends or get matched with opponents in this Scrabble-like word game.
Facebook Game Features
In addition to offering hundreds of games across genres, Facebook games also include some great features that enhance the gaming experience:
- Leaderboards and achievements let you track your progress and see how you rank against friends or worldwide players.
- Multiplayer support for competing or collaborating with friends in real-time.
- Notifications to let you know when it’s your turn or when friends want to play.
- Syncing between devices so you can start a game on one device and continue on another.
- In-game chat for trash talking or strategizing with opponents and allies.
Finding and Getting Started with Games
There are a few ways to find and start playing games on Facebook:
- Visit the Facebook Games page, which highlights popular games across genres.
- Check out recommendations on your homepage based on the types of games your friends play.
- Use the search bar to find a specific game.
- Click on the Games menu item in the left sidebar to browse categories and recommendations.
- Once you’ve selected a game, click the Play Now or Play Game button to launch it.
- Most games can be played as a guest, but you’ll need to login and authorize the game to access friend features like giving lives or seeing their scores.
Drawbacks of Facebook Games
While Facebook offers a ton of appealing free games, there are some drawbacks to be aware of:
- Many games limit gameplay unless you buy extra lives, coins, chips, etc. with real money.
- Buggy performance and lag are common complaints, especially with graphics-intensive games.
- Poor account security has enabled scams and hacking of some accounts.
- Push notifications about games can be annoying and excessive.
- Game requests and posts can spam your newsfeed.
- Some privacy concerns around data collected from games.
Facebook hosts an extensive library of free casual and core games spanning puzzle, action, card, strategy, and many other genres. Core features like leaderboards, multiplayer support, and cross-device syncing enhance the gaming experience. While the selection of games is impressive, be wary of pressures to spend real money on in-game purchases as well as potential security and spam issues. Overall, Facebook games present a fun, convenient option for playing games alone or with friends right from your newsfeed.