Choosing the right colors to wear can make a huge difference in how you look and feel. If you have an autumn skin tone, you’ll want to opt for colors that enhance your natural coloring. In this article, we’ll discuss how to determine if you have an autumn skin tone and recommend the best color palettes and clothing colors to make your unique beauty shine.
What is an Autumn Skin Tone?
Autumn skin tones fall into the warm neutral category. They tend to have a mix of warm and cool undertones and range from fair or medium to medium-dark in depth. Common traits include:
- Hair colors like auburn, strawberry blonde, golden blonde to dark brown
- Eyes that are hazel, green, warm brown, golden brown or blue
- Skin that tans easily and has yellow, peach or golden undertones
Celebrities like Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon and Anne Hathaway are examples of autumn skin tone types. If you aren’t sure about your skin’s undertones, try taking a selfie in natural lighting and in both silver and gold jewelry to see which flatters you more.
The Best Color Palettes for Autumn Skin Tones
The following color palettes with warm, earthy hues tend to be the most universally flattering for those with autumn skin tones:
Warm & Neutral
Sticking to these warm, low-contrast colors will complement autumn skin beautifully. Cooler colors like icy pinks, blues and purples can make the skin look sallow or washed out. Choosing the right color palette is key for autumns to look radiant.
The Best Clothing Colors for Autumn Skin Tones
When it comes to clothing, choosing the colors from the recommended autumn palettes will create gorgeous looks. Here are some of the best clothing colors to try:
- Camel sweaters or button downs
- Olive green blouses
- Burgundy shirts
- Chocolate brown tops
- Plum tunics or wrap tops
- Amber or peach shift dresses
- Emerald skater dresses
- Ruby wrap dresses
- Rust or burnt orange fit and flare dresses
- Khaki chinos
- Olive or moss green trousers
- Camel or taupe cropped pants
- Cognac loafers or booties
- Oxblood heels or flats
- Bronze ballet flats
- Tan sandals
- Amber or topaz jewelry
- Leather handbags in brown or tan
- Olive green scarves
- Rust or burnt orange infinity scarves
- Copper statement necklaces
For casual looks, earth tones like mocha, mushroom and oatmeal also complement an autumn skin tone beautifully. Go for rich jewel tones like sapphire blue and emerald green in evening wear. Metallic neutrals like gold, bronze and copper make statement accessories. Stay away from pastels and opt for warm, saturated hues.
Tips for Makeup & Hair Colors
The right makeup and hair colors can also harmonize with your autumn skin. Here are some tips:
- Look for foundations with yellow/golden undertones
- Try eye shadows in plums, coppers and olive greens
- Use lipsticks in mocha, terracotta, rust and brick shades
- Warm brown or chestnut-colored mascara and eyeliner
- Blush in peach, apricot or amber tones
- For hair, go for warm brunette, strawberry blonde, auburn, golden blonde or warm red tones
Avoid cool-toned makeup with pink or berry undertones. Be picky about finding the most harmonizing shades for your unique coloring. Asking for assistance at quality makeup counters can help you find products that enhance your natural beauty as an autumn.
How to Use an Autumn Color Palette
Here are some tips for putting together stunning outfits using your autumn color palette:
- Use one palette at a time. Mixing too many color families can look mismatched. Stick to warm neutrals, jewel tones or metallics for a cohesive look.
- Make one color the star. Pick one main color to build your outfit around, then add accent colors from the palette.
- Add patterns and textures. Pair solids with tweed, hounds tooth, plaid or animal prints for interest.
- Watch contrast levels. Low-contrast looks tend to suit autumn coloring best. Don’t go for very light and very dark pairings.
- Layer creatively. Play with different autumnal hues in sweaters, scarves, jackets and accessories.
- Go for rich finishes. Satin, velvet and metallics make sensational accent fabrics.
With some practice, combining colors from your personal autumn palette will get easier. Don’t be afraid to get creative and take risks – the colors are designed to enhance your look!
Finding colors that complement your autumn skin tone can be life-changing. Embracing your warm, earthy undertones with the right hues will make you look and feel your best. Use this guide to identify flattering color palettes, clothing options, makeup shades and hair colors. With the colors of autumn as your inspiration, you can develop a signature style that celebrates your beautiful complexion.