Hazel eyes are a fascinating eye color that can range from shades of brown to green. The hue of hazel eyes often depends on lighting conditions and can even change from day to day. Finding the right colors to make hazel eyes pop can be a fun challenge. The key is to choose shades that enhance the flecks and dimensions that make hazel eyes so dynamic and unique.
Understanding Hazel Eyes
Hazel eyes get their distinctive appearance from a combination of melanin pigments. They contain moderate amounts of eumelanin, the brown pigment, and smaller amounts of pheomelanin, the yellow/red pigment. The interplay between these two pigments creates the multi-faceted hazel color. Here’s a quick primer on the characteristics of hazel eyes:
- Appear brown, green, or gold depending on lighting
- Contain yellow, brown, and orange flecks and streaks
- Often have a dark limbal ring around the iris
- May appear to shift in color throughout the day
- Range from light golden brown to dark forest green
The unique blend of colors is what makes hazel eyes so fun to complement. You can pick shades that play up the green flecks or the rich golden tones. The right colors can make hazel eyes appear more brown, green, or light caramel.
Best Color Palettes for Hazel Eyes
Certain color palettes are especially flattering for bringing out the beauty of hazel eyes. Here are some of the best options:
Natural, earthy shades in bronze, olive, mustard, khaki, and coffee brown create a harmonious complement to hazel eyes. These rich, mellow tones amplify the golden-brown aspect of hazel irises.
Blues and Greens
Cooler tones like emerald, jade, and slate gray-blue intensify the green nuances in hazel eyes. Darker shades of pine, moss, and forest green also make the brown flecks pop.
Regal shades of purple flatter hazel because they combine a cool undertone with richness. Lavender, eggplant, iris, and violet bring an intriguing contrast to light brown hazel eyes. Darker plums add depth to darker hazel hues.
Warm metallics like gold, bronze, copper, champagne, and taupe complement the golden specks in hazel irises. These shimmery shades make hazel eyes shine.
Most Flattering Colors for Hazel Eyes
Now let’s look at some specific colors that are especially complementary for bringing out the beauty of hazel eyes.
|What Makes It Flattering
|Enhances green flecks while harmonizing with brown tones
|Pure vivid blue brightens lighter hazel eyes
|Warm red with a hint of brown flatters and intensifies
|Deep cool purple adds drama and accentuates green
|Golden shade brings out warm brown tones
|Deep cool green contrasts with brown flecks
|Classic blue flatters diverse hazel shades
|Sultry brown hue enhances golden dimension
|Luscious rich brown flatters darker hazel tones
|Warm metallic makes hazel eyes sparkle
How Different Colors Impact Hazel Eyes
Let’s take a deeper look at how some popular colors can change the appearance of hazel eyes:
Shades of blue add vibrancy to hazel eyes and make the green flecks stand out. Dark blues like navy or cobalt make brown hazel eyes appear brighter. Light blues give a cool contrast to warm golden hazel hues. Blues also enhance the limbal ring, creating definition.
Purple brings out hazel eyes in a different way than blue. Rich purples add a sense of mystery and intensity to hazel. Lighter lilac shades play up the green, while deeper tones like amethyst and plum amplify brown specks. Purple darkens the outer iris, framing the center.
Green is an obvious choice that intensifies the green in hazel irises. Yellow-based greens like olive and moss enhance the golden dimension. Cool forest and emerald greens make hazel eyes crisp and clear. Green also minimizes redness and brings out the limbal ring.
Brown shades extend the brown in hazel for a natural, harmonizing effect. Browns with red or golden undertones are especially flattering. Darker browns like chocolate and deep taupe make light hazel eyes pop. Medium warm browns enhance tawny golden hazel hues.
Gray is an unexpected neutral that can make hazel eyes smolder. Charcoal and slate grays add intensity and intrigue to brown-green hazel irises. Soft heather grays bring out light brown and champagne flecks. Gray creates definition without harshness.
Tips for Complementing Hazel Eyes
Here are some top tips for choosing the most flattering colors to enhance hazel eyes:
- Focus on shades that accentuate your favorite parts of your eye color, whether that’s the golden brown or the green flecks.
- Try the jewel tone test by holding different colored stones like amethyst, emerald, and topaz near your face to see which flatters you most.
- Look for colors with a multi-dimensional appearance, like metallic olive or iridescent blues, to mirror the complexity of hazel irises.
- Aim for rich, saturated shades that intensify and accentuate, rather than pale muted tones that can wash you out.
- Remember that different lighting changes how hazel eyes appear, so colors can look more or less flattering depending on the conditions.
- Test colors by looking in varied lighting and checking a photo to see the real effect.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with unexpected shades like plum, slate gray, or champagne that give a unique vibe.
- Coordinate eye makeup and clothing colors for a put-together, harmonious look.
How to Wear the Best Colors for Hazel Eyes
Now that you know which colors make hazel eyes dazzle, here are some tips for wearing those shades:
- Incorporate flattering colors through tops, dresses, jackets and accessories.
- Try a cobalt blue sweater, olive green blouse, or eggplant infinity scarf.
- Search for patterned tops that contain colors you love, like purple paisley or blue stripes.
- Add pops of color through shoes, purses, and jewelry like a chocolate brown purse or forest green heels.
- Play up eyes with complementary shadows, liners and mascaras in shades like navy, plum, olive and gold.
- Use bronze, taupe, and brown shadows on the crease and lid.
- Highlight underneath brows with champagne or gold shimmer.
- Try purple, green or slate gray eyeliner on upper and lower lash lines.
- Use mascara that enhances chosen eye colors, like cobalt blue or espresso.
- Shape and define brows using an auburn or chocolate brow pencil.
- Tie looks together with scarves, hats, and jewelry in top colors like emerald, violet and ochre.
- Wear a causal forest green beanie or cashmere purple scarf.
- Make a style statement with plum earrings, a mustard yellow handbag, or a chunky mocha brown bracelet.
- Look for accessory sets with coordinating colors like olive green necklaces and earrings.
Finding Your Best Colors
While certain shades are universally flattering, finding your personal best colors for hazel eyes comes down to experimentation. The right colors make your eyes shine and bring out your natural beauty. Have fun seeing how different hues impact your eye color in various lighting. The next time someone compliments your gorgeous hazel eyes, you can let them in on the secret of your color complementing technique.
Hazel eyes are a fascinating and beautiful eye color that can drastically change appearance based on coloring choices. By understanding the factors that make hazel eyes unique, you can strategically choose shades that enhance the green, brown, gold and gray flecks in your irises. While colorful wardrobe staples, makeup, and accessories allow you to switch up your look daily, remembering which palettes are most harmonious and impactful will take the guesswork out of getting ready. With some practice determining your most flattering shades, you’ll be able to accentuate the mesmerizing, multi-faceted hues of your hazel eyes.