Sage green is a versatile wall color that can work with a variety of cabinet colors. When choosing the right cabinet color to pair with sage green walls, consider the overall style you want to achieve. Do you want a bright and airy look or something more moody and sophisticated? The undertones in the sage green paint are also important to take into account.
Bright and Airy Look
For a fresh, lively aesthetic, pair sage green walls with white or light-colored cabinets. Crisp white cabinets will pop against the green backdrop and keep the space feeling open and airy. Soft greys and pale blues are also nice options that will complement the green without overpowering it.
|Clean, bright, and fresh looking. Makes the green walls stand out.
|Adds subtle contrast without going too dark. Has a modern, sophisticated vibe.
|Brings out the blue undertones in sage green. Feels soothing and serene.
For white cabinets, opt for a true bright white with no yellow or cream undertones. Shaker-style cabinets with visible woodgrain will also help keep the look light and casual. Add touches of white or neutral accents, like marble counters, subway tile backsplash, and nickel or chrome hardware for a cohesive scheme.
Moody and Sophisticated Look
For a more luxurious, dramatic ambiance, pair sage green walls with medium to dark wood cabinets or painted cabinets in deeper shades of grey, blue, or green. Richer cabinet colors underscore the earthy, organic vibe of the sage green in a striking way.
|Warm and upscale looking. Walnut, mahogany, and espresso work well.
|Sleek and modern. Acts as a neutral backdrop to the green walls.
|Sophisticated color pairing. Navy blue offers dramatic contrast.
|Earthy and harmonious. Try emerald or hunter green shades.
Stained wood cabinets help enhance the organic feel of the sage green walls. For painted cabinets, matte and satin finishes are ideal to avoid looking too slick and modern. Black, brass, or bronze hardware suits this handsome, masculine style.
Consider the Undertones
When selecting a cabinet color for sage green walls, be mindful of the undertones present in both colors. If the sage green walls lean yellow-green, a blue-toned cabinet color will look best. Conversely, sage greens with blue undertones are complemented by warm wood cabinet tones. Here are some examples:
|Sage Green Undertone
|Best Matching Cabinet Color
|Navy blue, cobalt blue
|Cherry wood, walnut
|Crisp white, light grey
Test out paint swatches and samples to see how the cabinet and wall colors interact. The right balance of contrast and harmony will create a cohesive and stylish kitchen.
Color Combination Ideas
Here are some specific cabinet and sage green wall color combinations to inspire you:
- Bright white cabinets with yellow-green sage walls
- Soft grey cabinets with blue-green sage walls
- High-gloss white cabinets with grey-green sage walls
Light Wood Cabinets
- Maple cabinets with blue-green sage walls
- Birch cabinets with yellow-green sage walls
- Light oak cabinets with grey-green sage walls
Dark Wood Cabinets
- Espresso cabinets with blue-green sage walls
- Walnut cabinets with yellow-green sage walls
- Cherry cabinets with grey-green sage walls
- Navy cabinets with yellow-green sage walls
- Slate grey cabinets with grey-green sage walls
- Moss green cabinets with blue-green sage walls
Tips for Implementation
Here are some extra tips for successfully decorating your sage green and cabinet kitchen:
- Select cabinet hardware that matches the style and finish of your cabinets. Matte black, oil-rubbed bronze, brushed nickel, and chrome are good choices.
- Incorporate neutral countertops and backsplash. White marble, soapstone, and travertine work well, along with white subway tile.
- Use natural textiles like jute, linen, and cotton for window treatments. Add earthy ceramic and wood accents.
- Soften the look with indoor plants like succulents, snake plants, or ferns. They complement the earthy green walls.
- Use pendant lights over islands and counters to introduce a material like brass, iron, or glass.
- If your style is ultra-modern, go for high-gloss lacquered cabinets in grey or white.
Sage green walls and white cabinets create a fresh, lively look perfect for cottages and farmhouses. Dark wood cabinets offer an elegant contrast and feel fitting for traditional homes. Cool-toned cabinets like navy pair well with warm sage greens, while wood tones match sage greens with blue undertones. Consider the overall style you want and how the undertones play off each other. Accent with natural textures and accessories to enhance the organic vibe of this soothing color scheme. With the right cabinet color choice, you can let your sage green walls shine.