An aura is an energy field that surrounds the human body. Auras contain different colors that can reveal information about a person’s thoughts, feelings, and overall health. But what causes these colors to appear in the first place? Here’s an overview of the leading theories behind aura color meanings.
The Seven Main Aura Colors
There are seven main aura colors that can appear in an aura:
Each aura color has a specific meaning and provides insight into a person’s mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical state. Here’s a quick rundown of what each color represents:
|Red||Energy, passion, anger, sexuality|
|Orange||Creativity, confidence, ambition|
|Yellow||Intellect, optimism, new ideas|
|Green||Balance, healing, compassion|
|Blue||Communication, serenity, empathy|
|Indigo||Intuition, sensitivity, deep feeling|
|Violet||Spirituality, enlightenment, wisdom|
Theories Behind Aura Color Causes
There are a few main theories that attempt to explain what causes specific aura colors to manifest:
1. Thoughts and Emotions
One theory is that aura colors directly correlate to our thoughts, moods, and emotions. For example, when someone is angry, they may exhibit more red in their aura. When someone is calm and peaceful, more blue or green may appear.
Essentially, aura colors are thought to be a reflection of what’s going on inside us mentally and emotionally. The colors that show up in our aura reveal what we’re channeling energetically at that moment.
2. Physical Health
Another theory is that the colors in your aura reflect what’s going on in your physical body. For instance, lots of red in the lower half of the aura may indicate issues with the reproductive system. Blue or black spots can signal pain or physical trauma. And a bright, colorful aura overall is linked to vitality and well-being.
From this perspective, aura colors provide insight into energetic blockages, deficiencies, or health issues so they can be addressed. Your aura offers a snapshot of what’s happening with your physical health.
In energy healing traditions, aura colors are deeply connected to the chakra system. There are seven main chakras in the body, each associated with specific colors, emotions, and areas of life.
According to this view, the colors we see in the aura directly relate to the state of the different chakras. For example:
- Browns, blacks, and grays in the aura may indicate blocked energy in the root chakra.
- Lots of orange can point to issues with the sacral chakra.
- An overabundance of yellow may reveal overactivity in the solar plexus chakra.
Essentially, aura colors are seen as external reflections of what’s happening energetically with the chakras inside the body.
4. Energy Fields
In metaphysics, the aura is sometimes described as electromagnetic energy emanating from the body. This human energy field is made up of different layers or subtle bodies.
The outermost layer of the aura is associated with mental activity and the inner layers with emotions and overall health. Auras are seen as interactive energy fields that can transfer thoughts and feelings between people.
So from this viewpoint, aura colors have to do with the quality of energy in your outer and inner energy fields.
5. Soul Purpose
According to some esoteric teachings, the colors that tend to dominate your aura can provide clues about your soul’s purpose. For example:
- Blue overlays suggest strong skills in communication and teaching.
- Lots of green point to natural healing gifts.
- Violet hints at psychic talents and advanced intuition.
Your soul comes into each lifetime with unique strengths. The aura colors you’re drawn to can illuminate your innate soul gifts.
6. Outside Energy
It’s also believed you can take on aura colors from sources outside of yourself. For instance, being around certain people, places, or art can manifest matching colors in your aura.
You may take on red after having an argument with someone even though anger isn’t necessarily your own initial state. The other person’s mad energy fields can overlay your own.
Essentially, aura colors are seen as easily influenced by the energies you take in from the world around you.
Other Factors That Can Impact Aura Colors
In addition to the major theories about aura causes, there are some other potential influences to consider:
- Age: Children tend to have bright, vivid auras full of pinks, light blues, and yellows. As people get older, their auras often become more complex with multiple colors.
- Gender: Some researchers have noted certain aura colors appearing more often in women vs. men. For example, women may exhibit more violet while men exhibit more red.
- Culture: The meanings ascribed to different aura colors can vary across cultures. What’s considered a “positive” or “negative” aura color may depend on context.
- Time of day: Auras are living, changing energy fields. Their appearance may shift throughout the day as your moods and states fluctuate.
- Surroundings: Man-made environments and crowded cities can dull your aura’s colors. Spending time in nature may make them brighter.
So as you can see, aura color causes span a range of physical, emotional, spiritual, and environmental factors. A holistic approach considers how these different elements interplay and influence the ever-changing energy surrounding you.
If you want to start reading auras yourself, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Find a peaceful setting with soft lighting to practice in.
- Loosen up your gaze and look just past the edges of the person’s body.
- Try gazing at their shoulders or mid-torso region rather than intensely at their head or face.
- Relax your eyes and let the colors emerge in your peripheral field of vision.
- Start by looking for the main aura colors you recognize, rather than seeking out specific shades or mixtures.
- Trust your intuition and go with your first impressions when identifying colors.
- Remember auras are fluid and can change from moment to moment.
With regular practice and tuning into your own energy, you can get better at perceiving the beautiful colors shining in people’s auras!
Aura colors have many potential causes ranging from thoughts and emotions to the state of your chakras and energy fields. Paying attention to the colors in your own aura and those around you can provide valuable insights about inner feelings, physical health, life purpose, and more. Learning to tune into auras is an enlightening way to understand yourself and others on a deeper energetic level.