Grey walls can look absolutely stunning in a bedroom when paired with the right bedding sets. The key is to find bedding that complements the gray without blending in too much. You’ll want pops of color, texture and personality.
– White or light gray bedding pairs nicely with grey walls, creating a clean and airy look. Add pops of color with decorative pillows.
– Look for bedding with subtle patterns or texture like quilts and shams to add visual interest against the solid grey walls.
– Blue and green bedding colors connect well with cool-toned grey walls. Try different shades like pastel blue or sage green.
– Soft pinks and purples give grey a warm, relaxing feel. Deeper jewel tones like eggplant can create drama.
– Metallic sheens in silver, pewter or bronze complement and contrast with grey for an elegant luxe look.
– Crisp, bright red makes grey walls pop for a bold, energetic vibe. Use sparingly against dark charcoal walls.
Understanding Different Grey Tones and Undertones
When choosing bedding for your grey walls, it’s important to understand the specific tone and undertone of grey that you’re working with. There are warm greys, cool greys, light greys and dark charcoal greys. The shade and undertone of your walls should inform your bedding choices. Here’s an overview of the most common grey wall colors:
– Have blue/purple undertones
– Look great with cool colors like blues, greens, purples
– Pair well with silver and metallics
– Examples: Light grey, ash grey, slate grey
– Have yellow/peach undertones
– Complement warm colors like reds, yellows, pinks
– Work nicely with gold and bronze metallics
– Examples: Greige, taupe, light clay grey
– Softer, paler shades like lavender grey or airy light grey
– Allow flexibility in color pairings from neutrals to bold hues
– Don’t overwhelm a room, creating an open, ethereal vibe
Dark Charcoal Greys
– Deep, dramatic shades like charcoal, onyx, graphite
– Pair best with equally saturated jewel tones and brights
– Can feel sleek and sophisticated or cozy and moody
Pay attention to the specific grey shade in the bedroom and choose bedding accordingly. A light taupe grey with warm peach undertones will look best with creamy ivories and faded blush pinks, while a darker slate grey with blue undertones is complemented by shades of blue-green and deep magenta.
5 Bedding Sets That Pair Perfectly with Grey Walls
Here are five bedding set ideas that coordinate beautifully with grey walls:
1. White and Grey Patterned Bedding
A white and grey duvet cover featuring a subtle pattern likeleaves, stripes, lattice work or dots pairs gorgeously with grey walls in any shade. The contrast of crisp white against the grey background enlivens the space while the grey detailing ties everything together. Add pillows in navy blue or emerald green for a pop of color. White and grey checker or diamond patterns feel fresh and lively against dark charcoal walls.
2. Texture-Rich Neutral Bedding
Linen, wool and cotton bedding in natural ivory, cream and oatmeal shades add cozy texture against smooth grey walls. Look for interesting quilting, embracing, knits or crochet patterns to introduce depth and dimension. A chunky cream knit throw at the end of the bed is all you need to create a warm, inviting space. Include a couple of faux fur pillows for extra softness.
3. Blue and Green Bedding
From pale sky blue to deep navy, shades of blue complement grey walls beautifully. Try a blue and white medallion print duvet, mulberry blue striped sheets or a pine green quilt for an earthy feel. Blue and green colors connect to the cool undertones in greys while still adding brightness to a grey room. Dark emerald green velvet shams and decorative pillows enrich a light grey bedroom.
4. Blush Pink and Purple Bedding
For a soft, feminine look, you can’t go wrong pairing grey walls with blush pink and purple bedding. Try a lilac and dove grey duvet with pink silk accent pillows. Or make a statement with an indigo chevron duvet and eggplant purple shams. The mix of cool and warm colors with the greys creates a soothing, romantic appeal. Pastel pinks work well with warm greys, while jewel purples match cool greys.
5. Metallic Sheen Bedding
Grey walls offer the perfect muted palette for metallic sheen bedding to shine. Coppery rose gold, silvery pewter and cool bronze all complement grey shades beautifully. Try a gold and grey brocade comforter with silver crushed velvet euro shams for major drama and elegance. Metallic geometric patterns like chevron and floral prints in gold, silver and bronze add glam and reflect light against dark charcoal grey walls.
How to Make Bedding Pop Against Grey Walls
The following tips will help bedding stand out when paired with grey walls so the colors and textures show up vividly:
– Use brighter, bolder hues in bedding like emerald green rather than sage, sapphire rather than powder blue. Go for deeper, richer tones.
– Incorporate highly saturated accent pillows in cherry red, yellow, magenta or teal to draw the eye.
– Look for duvet covers and shams with large-scale graphic prints, florals and geometrics to make a statement.
– Include tactile bedding like chenille throws, faux fur pillows, nubby knits and quilted coverlets.
– Opt for pattern mixing with stripes, florals and plaids to create visual interest against solid grey walls.
– Use metallics and shiny accents like mirrored nightstands to reflect light around the grey room.
– Hang bold wallpaper or artwork over the bed for color and a focal point.
– Add lighting like table lamps or sconces with warm lightbulbs to create a cozy glow against cool grey walls.
– Flank the bed with colorful curtains that contrast with the grey walls.
8 Ideal Colors for Bedding Against Grey Walls
|White||White, cream, ivory||Crisp and fresh|
|Light Grey||Dove grey, heather grey, silver grey||Airyy and ethereal|
|Blue||Navy, periwinkle, baby blue||Cool and calming|
|Green||Emerald, mint, sage||Natural and relaxing|
|Purple||Lilac, plum, lavender||Soft and romantic|
|Pink||Blush, mauve, rose||Warm and feminine|
|Red||Crimson, rust, cherry||Bold and energetic|
|Metallic||Gold, silver, bronze||Sleek and glamorous|
As shown in the table above, the colors that tend to complement grey walls most seamlessly are:
– White – Clean and brightens the space
– Light greys – Subtle contrast
– Blues – Connect to cool undertones
– Greens – Neutral earthy pairing
– Pinks and purples – Soft, yet vivid
– Red – Pops against grey
– Metallics – Adds glamour and shine
Look for these hues when shopping for bedding, and include a variety in solids, patterns and textures for best results.
Bedding Styles That Work with Grey Walls
In addition to color, the style and design of your duvet covers, quilts, shams and sheets impacts how cohesively it pairs with grey walls in the bedroom. Here are some of the most compatible bedding styles:
From basic patchwork to detailed cascading designs, quilts offer texture and visual interest against solid grey walls. Try a diagonal stripe quilt in creamy ivory and blush pink against cool-toned grey. For warm greys, an intricate medallion quilt in red, yellow and green makes a lively statement.
Solid duvet covers in crisp white, steel blue-grey or emerald green allow bedding prints and patterns to stand out. For charcoal walls, make a bold color splash with a ruby red or teal duvet cover. Gray and white buffalo check duvet covers offer a rustic cabin vibe.
Euro shams provide opportunities to layer in sophisticated materials like linen, velvet or faux fur with grey walls. A pair of navy velvet shams contrast light grey while adding plushness. Faux fur in ivory or blush pink softens cool greys.
Sateen and cotton sheets with detail like pleating, hemstitching or contrast piping on hems connect well with grey walls. Dark charcoal walls may call for crisp white sheets while lighter warm greys can pair with sheets that match the wall color.
From small delicate florals to oversized blooms, flower prints add feminine flair against grey. Try blue hydrangea prints or vibrant pink peonies against warm greys. Small sprigged florals keep lighter greys airy.
Geometric and Graphic Prints
For contemporary edge, graphic prints in black, white and grey paired with a bright accent color liven up grey walls. Think black and white buffalo check with red accents or a grey and white diamond trellis duvet with lime green shams.
Chenille, knit, velvet and faux fur bedding all introduce cozy texture that is highlighted beautifully against smooth grey walls. A chunky ivory chenille throw folded at the foot of the bed softens cool grey walls.
10 Bedroom Accessories That Coordinate with Grey Walls
Finish your grey and bedding space with accessories and decor that complement the look:
– Throw pillows in bold patterns and colors
– Table lamps with cream, grey or colored shades
– Mirrors and metallics like mercury glass vases
– Abstract wall art and photography featuring colors from bedding
– Vases and floral arrangements in colors that pop like red tulips or purple hydrangeas
– Candles with scents like lavender, citrus, vanilla, woods
– Neutral patterned area rugs with hints of color
– Sheer curtains that filter natural lighting and soften grey
– Nightstands and headboards in wood tones like walnut and oak
– Textured blankets and throws at the end of the bed
With the right accents that pick up on the bedding tones, any grey bedroom can be designed to feel inviting, stylish and uniquely you.
The key to choosing bedding for grey walls is looking for complementary colors, patterns and textures that provide contrast without clashing. Crisp white bedding illuminates light grey walls while deep emerald green and purple enliven dark charcoal greys. Introduce coziness and visual appeal with details like quilting, pleats and florals against the solid grey background. Accessorize with colorful artwork, mirrors and lamps to tie the whole look together. With the versatile, stylish combinations the right bedding sets create, grey walls can make an elegant, distinctive backdrop for bedroom retreats of all kinds.