Feng Shui, which means “wind” and “water” in Chinese, is an ancient Chinese philosophy that aims to harmonize individuals with their surrounding environment. It provides guidelines on various aspects of life such as health, relationships, career, wealth and more. One important aspect of Feng Shui is the use of colors in decorating homes and offices. Choosing the right wall colors as per Feng Shui principles is believed to attract positive chi (energy) and allow peace, harmony and prosperity to flow.
Overarching Principles of Feng Shui Colors
There are some overarching principles when it comes to choosing wall colors for different rooms and spaces:
– Warm colors like red, orange and yellow represent fire and passion. They are stimulating and bring warmth and cheer.
– Cool colors like blue, green and purple represent water and are calming and relaxing.
– Neutral colors like white, beige and gray provide balance.
– Brighter and lighter colors tend to expand and open up a space making it seem larger. Darker colors can make a space feel cozy but smaller.
– Colors should coordinate with the room’s purpose and bring balance to the elements needed in that space.
Feng Shui Colors for Living Room
The living room or family room is where the family gathers together and welcomes guests. It’s all about promoting social connections and togetherness. Here are suitable Feng Shui colors for living rooms:
– Earth tones like terracotta orange, mustard yellow and sage green promote warm, welcoming energy.
– Blues and greens represent the wood and water elements creating a relaxing ambiance. Light blue-greens like aqua are especially harmonizing.
– Neutrals like off-white, sand and soft grays open up the space. Accent walls in darker shades of gray can add depth.
– Avoid fire colors like bright reds as they may promote agitation and arguments in this social space.
Feng Shui Colors for Bedrooms
Bedrooms are our personal sanctuaries and should promote relaxation and romance. Recommended bedroom wall colors per Feng Shui include:
– Soothing cool colors like soft greens, light blues and lavenders. They have a calming and stress-relieving effect.
– Neutral tones like eggshell white, ecru and gray create a peaceful ambiance for sleep.
– Avoid energizing reds and oranges in the bedroom as they disrupt sleep. However, shades like peach and rose pink can enhance romance.
– If your bedroom lacks natural light, paint it in lighter colors to make it feel more bright and airy.
– Married couples should opt for colors representing the earth element like light brown, tan and sand to promote stability.
Feng Shui Colors for Home Office
For a home office or study, the colors should enhance productivity, focus and success. Here are suitable Feng Shui colors for office walls:
– Whites, creams and lighter greens represent the metal element promoting mental focus and organization.
– Navy blue walls create a stable, professional ambiance.
– Greys enhance objectivity and aid concentration. Charcoal grey accent walls provide depth.
– Yellows and oranges stir creativity but use them sparingly as they can make you agitated after long periods.
– Avoid passive colors like pale pinks and florals which lack the energizing yang energy needed in a home office.
|Feng Shui Element
|Reds, pinks, oranges, purple
|Yellows, browns, tans, sand
|Whites, grays, silver, gold
|Greens, light blues
Feng Shui Colors for Dining Room
The dining room is about nourishing yourself and connecting with family and friends over meals. Suitable Feng Shui dining room wall colors include:
– Warm earthy tones like peach, terracotta, cream, coffee browns stimulate appetite and promote togetherness.
– Shades of yellow create a welcoming, vibrant energy for meals. Buttermilk yellow accent walls liven up the space.
– Cool greens and blues have a calming effect for family meals but avoid darker shades as they can suppress appetite.
– Neutrals like off-white provide an inviting backdrop without overpowering.
– Avoid black or red dining room walls as they can disrupt harmonious eating and conversation.
Feng Shui Colors for Kitchen
The kitchen is the symbolic heart and hearth of the home where nourishment is prepared. Here are recommended Feng Shui kitchen wall colors:
– Yellows in sunny tones promote optimism and stimulate appetite perfect for a kitchen. deeper amber yellows also enhance organization.
– Greens like sage and mint are soothing kitchen colors bringing balance to the fire element. Light olive greens pair well with wood cabinetry.
– Whites, grays and beiges create a clean and spacious look by opening up the space and allowing more light in.
– Reds and oranges should be used sparingly in the form of accents as they increase appetite but may also provoke agitation during cooking.
– Avoid darker colors like black and gray as they can make the kitchen feel cramped and depressing.
Feng Shui Colors for Bathroom
For bathrooms which are meant for rest and relaxation, cool, calming Feng Shui colors work best:
– Blues ranging from powder blue to slate blue create a soothing and serene ambiance. Navy blue also inspires cleanliness.
– Greens like seafoam, sage and jade have restorative energies perfect for a bathroom.
– Whites, grays and beiges give an expansive, clean look. Accent walls in these neutral tones provide texture.
– Avoid fire element colors like reds and oranges as they are too stimulating for a space meant for tranquility and unwinding.
– Also avoid darker tones like black or charcoal gray as they can make the bathroom feel confined.
Feng Shui Colors for Children’s Rooms
Children’s bedrooms should promote playfulness, cheerfulness and relaxation. Recommended Feng Shui children’s bedroom wall colors include:
– Light sunny yellows inspire creativity, optimism and joy perfect for a child’s room. Use as an accent wall color.
– Sky blues have a soothing energy and represent growth and imagination.
– Soft greens like sage are balancing and restful while also stimulating learning.
– Neutrals like off-white, cream and light gray allow flexibility in décor as children grow.
– Avoid dark intense colors like black or red which may disrupt sleep and cause agitation in children.
– Also avoid too many bright colors which may be overstimulating. Stick to one or two bold accent walls.
|Feng Shui Colors
|Earth tones, blues, greens
|Blues, greens, neutrals
|Whites, blues, grays
|Earth tones, yellows, greens
|Yellows, greens, neutrals
|Blues, greens, neutrals
|Yellows, blues, greens
Feng Shui Tips for Choosing Wall Colors
Here are some additional Feng Shui tips for choosing harmonious wall colors in your home:
– Select colors that appeal to you on an emotional level based on how they make you feel. Your preferences matter.
– Coordinate wall colors with flooring, furniture and décor in the room. Contrasting or clashing colors cause visual imbalance.
– In entryways, use bolder and warmer colors to bring in strong, vibrant chi energy. Avoid painting the front door black.
– In family rooms and living rooms, use colors to create a warm, inviting ambiance for gathering and bonding.
– For bedrooms, stick to softer, cooler hues that relax and soothe. Warm tones stimulate energy which disrupts sleep.
– In home offices and studies, opt for neutral and cool colors that enhance focus and concentration.
– For bathrooms and kitchens, cool blues and greens represent the water element creating a refreshing vibe.
– Make sure there is contrast between your wall color and trim/borders. This creates definition and depth in the space.
– Use bright and light colors to make small rooms and spaces feel more expansive and large.
– Employ deeper, richer paint colors for accent walls to create mood and focal points.
Feng Shui principles provide guidance on choosing wall colors that create balance, enhance positive energy flows and promote the activities suited to specific rooms in your home. Earth tones, blues, greens and neutrals are harmonious and stabilize the elements of fire, water, earth, metal and wood. Avoid jarring contrasts of extremely warm and cool colors in the same space. Most importantly, pick colors you are drawn to and that make you happy! With some basic knowledge of Feng Shui color meanings, you can choose wall colors that make each room feel inviting and lived in.