In feng shui, choosing the right colors for a room can have a significant impact on the energy and feel of the space. For east facing rooms specifically, certain colors are considered more harmonious and auspicious than others according to feng shui principles. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the best feng shui colors for east facing rooms and provide tips on how to incorporate them into your home decor.
The Significance of East Facing Rooms in Feng Shui
In feng shui, compass directions hold special meaning and are associated with different areas of life. The eastern direction relates to personal growth, self-cultivation, health, and family. Sunrise in the east also symbolizes new beginnings and youthfulness.
For these reasons, east facing rooms and entrances are considered particularly important in feng shui design. Choosing harmonious colors that align with the eastern direction’s energy is key to optimizing these spaces. When selected appropriately, colors can enhance the positive qi (life force) of an east facing room.
Best Feng Shui Colors for East Facing Rooms
Below are the most auspicious feng shui colors for east facing rooms:
|Color||Feng Shui Meaning|
|Green||Green represents health, vitality, and renewal – appropriate energies for east facing spaces. Dark greens like forest and emerald green are especially recommended.|
|Blue||Blue represents calm, relaxation, and reflection. Light blues like sky blue are preferable for east facing rooms over darker shades.|
|White||White enhances clarity of thinking, focus, and mental acuity – fitting for the personal growth vibe of the east.|
|Beige||Natural, earthy tones like beige promote grounding and stability. Beige is a great neutral color for east facing rooms.|
In addition to the colors above, secondary hues that combine blue and green like turquoise, jade, and emerald green are also excellent feng shui choices. Metallic accents in gold, copper, and brass can add a vibrant, uplifting energy as well.
Feng Shui Colors to Avoid in East Facing Rooms
While the colors above all have positive feng shui associations for east facing spaces, the colors below should generally be avoided:
|Color||Feng Shui Meaning|
|Red||Red represents fire energy, which is too stimulating and intense for the tranquil vibe of the east. If used, red should be limited to accents.|
|Purple||Purple relates to the fire element and can promote unpredictability – not ideal for east facing rooms. Exceptions can be made for lighter toned purples.|
|Yellow||While cheery, yellow is associated with impulsiveness which undermines the thoughtful energy of the east. Yellow is better for south facing rooms.|
|Gray||Too much gray can feel dreary and dampen the rejuvenating eastern vibe. Use gray sparingly or with other colors.|
Black, brown, and other earthy neutrals should also be used judiciously, as they can make east facing rooms feel heavy. The best approach is to stick to light, vibrant, and green-blue colors.
How to Incorporate Feng Shui Colors in East Facing Rooms
When applying feng shui colors to your east facing space, focus on the most visible and used areas first. Here are some tips:
- Paint east facing walls green, blue, or beige
- Use appropriate color palettes in your furniture, rugs, and window treatments
- Add pops of green, blue, white, or metallics through decor items like pillows, vases, artwork, and accessories
- Incorporate the recommended colors through lighting fixtures, lamps, and light bulbs
- Use area rugs in light blue or green to define spaces
- Place live plants such as succulents or orchids in the east facing room to connect with the wood element
When using color in feng shui, it’s important to create balance. Don’t overdo it with too much of any single color. The goal is a harmonious blend that enhances the energetic flow of the room.
Feng Shui Color Schemes for East Facing Living Rooms
The living room is often an east facing space perfect for morning light. Here are some example color schemes that align with good feng shui:
- Sea Glass Scheme – Light blue walls, white trim, aqua accessories, and rattan furniture with sky blue cushions
- Zen Garden Scheme – Beige walls, jade green sofa, dark wood coffee table, and natural fiber area rug
- Tropical Scheme – Emerald green accent wall, neutral furniture, touches of gold and terra cotta, and houseplants
Feng Shui Color Schemes for East Facing Bedrooms
East facing bedrooms promote good health and relaxation. Try these color combinations:
- Spa Scheme – Pale green walls, white bedding with green and blue accents, bamboo flooring, and sheer white curtains
- Treetop Scheme – Forest green headboard, beige walls, linen bedding, and houseplants
- Robin’s Egg Scheme – Robin’s egg blue accent wall, white furniture, and mint green and sky blue bedding
Feng Shui Color Schemes for East Facing Kitchens
Kitchens are often located on the east side of a home. Optimize these spaces with colors like:
- Organic Scheme – Sage green cabinets, natural wood counters, beige backsplash, and stainless steel appliances
- Cafe Scheme – Light blue lower cabinets, white uppers, wood flooring, and touches of chrome
- Coastal Scheme – Sky blue island, turquoise tile backsplash, white cabinets, and brass fixtures
Feng Shui Color Schemes for East Facing Bathrooms
Bring the invigorating energy of the east into your bathroom with combinations like:
- Tropical Scheme – Leafy green paint, rattan basket accents, woven mats, and pops of gold
- Coastal Scheme – Cool blue walls, white tile, natural wood vanity, and ocean-inspired art
- Renewal Scheme – Pale green walls, white tile, marble vanity top, and crisp white towels
Feng Shui Color Schemes for East Facing Entryways
As the first space you enter, the front door colors set the tone. Go for east facing entryway color schemes like:
- Daybreak Scheme – Sky blue front door, green welcome mat, white trim, and metallic house numbers
- Zen Scheme – Dark stained wood door, beige walls, green plants, and natural fiber rug
- Renewal Scheme – Sage green door, light hardwood floors, white molding, and crystal wall sconces
Tips for Selecting Feng Shui Paint Colors
When shopping for feng shui paint colors, keep the following tips in mind:
- Choose matte finishes over shiny, light reflective ones
- Select paint with low or no VOC to minimize toxins
- Sample paint cards on your walls before fully committing to see the exact hue
- Pick energizing cool or neutral colors for large spaces
- Reserve bright, intense colors for accents
- Consider the lighting and amount of natural daylight in the room
Also pay attention to the color names and descriptions. Names reflecting positive images like sunrise, meadow, spring leaf, and horizon can help energize east facing rooms.
Create Harmony and Balance
Uplifting greens, blues, and natural tones perfectly complement the personal growth and wellness energy of the eastern direction. By incorporating the ideal feng shui colors for your east facing rooms, you can enhance the positive qi and create spaces filled with serenity and vitality.
Use the color combinations above as inspiration when designing your own beautiful, harmonious east facing rooms. Have fun experimenting with different hues and find the perfect fusion of colors that aligns with good feng shui principles and resonates with your own personal style.