Lipsticks can sometimes cause dryness and flaking on the lips. Stunna Lip Paint by Fenty Beauty is a popular liquid lipstick known for its intense pigment and long wear. But some users have complained about it feeling drying on the lips. Here we’ll explore if Stunna Lip Paint is actually drying, and tips to prevent dryness when using it.
Ingredients in Stunna Lip Paint
The ingredients in a lip product play a big role in how drying it feels on the lips. Stunna Lip Paint contains several ingredients that can potentially cause dryness:
- Isododecane – A synthetic emollient that can feel drying due to its quick evaporation.
- Silica – An abrasive ingredient that helps distribute color but can cause flaking.
- Titanium Dioxide – A common pigment that can emphasize dryness and cracks in the lips.
- Polyethylene – A wax that provides long wear but may cause dryness over time.
It also contains oils and emollients like isohexadecane, octyldodecanol, and jojoba seed oil that help counteract some of the drying effects. But the inclusion of several potentially drying ingredients means this formula may cause dryness issues for some.
The Matte Formula
In addition to the ingredients, the matte formula of Stunna Lip Paint likely contributes to the drying effect. Matte liquid lipsticks create a transfer-proof, opaque finish by using a lot of binding agents and pigments. This can leave a dry, tight feeling on the lips compared to creamy or satin finishes.
The intense pigmentation of Stunna can also emphasize any dryness or flakes on the lips. So even though the formula contains some hydrating ingredients, the high-pigment matte nature makes it prone to clinging to dry patches.
Tips to Prevent Dryness
If you find Stunna Lip Paint drying on your lips, don’t despair! Here are some tips to help prevent dryness:
- Exfoliate – Gently scrub lips with a damp washcloth or lip scrub before application. This removes any flakes for a smooth canvas.
- Moisturize – Apply lip balm or oil and let it soak in for a few minutes before lipstick. This provides a hydrating base layer.
- Use sparingly – Apply thin layers and blot rather than one thick coat, which can feel heavy.
- Avoid flakes – Apply lipstick only to smooth areas of lips, avoiding visibly flaky patches which emphasize dryness.
- Touch up lightly – When reapplying throughout wear, use a light hand to avoid layering on too much product.
Best Practices for Wearing
Once you’ve prepped your lips well before application, follow these best practices for comfortable wear:
- Set with powder – Lightly dust translucent powder over lipstick once applied. This helps set it and makes for more comfortable wear.
- Keep hydrated – Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated throughout the day. Dehydration leads to dryer lips.
- Avoid licking – As tempting as it is, avoid licking or pressing lips together, as this breaks down the formula.
- Reapply balm – Apply lip balm or slick a thin layer of oil over lipstick periodically. This helps moisturize without removing product.
- Remove thoroughly – Use an oil-based makeup remover to completely break down lipstick at the end of wear, to avoid lingering dryness.
Choosing Other Lip Products
If you try the above tips but Stunna Lip Paint is still too drying for your lips, consider switching to one of these alternate options:
- NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment – More flexible and comfortable formula.
- Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick – Contains jojoba and sunflower oils for hydration.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick – Less matte and lighter texture.
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick – Creamy high-pigment formula with avocado oil.
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick – Uses hydrating mango and cocoa butters.
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick – Affordable option infused with moisturizers.
Non-Drying Liquid Lipsticks
- Romand Zero Velvet Tint – “Blurring” formula feels lightweight.
- 3CE Mood Recipe Matte Lip Color – Contains hydrating seed oils.
- Peripera Ink Velvet – Buildable pigment doesn’t feel overly dry.
|Stunna Lip Paint||Matte||Isohexadecane, Silica, Titanium Dioxide||$25|
|NARS Powermatte||Matte||Sunflower seed wax, Silica||$26|
|Smashbox Always On||Matte||Jojoba oil, Apricot kernel oil||$24|
|Anastasia Beverly Hills||Matte||Isododecane, Silica||$20|
This table compares Stunna Lip Paint to some alternative liquid lipsticks in terms of finish, key ingredients, and price point. As you can see, there are matte options with more hydrating ingredients that may work better for dry lips.
Stunna Lip Paint does tend to feel drying on the lips, especially with extended wear. This can be attributed to its intense matte pigment and ingredients like isododecane and silica.
However, taking proper precautions like exfoliating and moisturizing lips before application can help. Maintaining hydration while wearing and removing the lipstick thoroughly at the end of the day will also prevent dryness.
If Stunna Lip Paint remains too drying even with these tips, considering switching to a more moisturizing liquid lipstick formula may provide more comfortable wear. With some trial and error, you can find your perfect bold matte lip!