Purple is a bold, royal color that can make a striking fashion statement. However, some people wonder if it’s acceptable to wear purple clothes and accessories. The short answer is yes, it’s perfectly fine to wear purple! Here’s a closer look at when and how to stylishly wear this eye-catching color.
When is it appropriate to wear purple?
Purple works for both casual everyday wear and dressier occasions. For casual settings like running errands, hanging out with friends, or going to brunch, feel free to wear purple tops, dresses, shorts, jeans, jackets, sneakers, etc. Purple is a fun color that adds flair to a relaxed outfit.
For work and formal events, darker richer purple hues like eggplant, aubergine, and wine work best. These can be worn as dress pants, blazers, cocktail dresses, gowns, etc. Lighter lavender purple is better for more playful semi-formal occasions. Overall, purple is perfectly acceptable for most daytime and evening events.
What skin tones can wear purple?
One common myth is that only certain skin tones can pull off wearing purple. But this isn’t true – purple is flattering on all skin tones. Here’s a breakdown of what purple shades complement different complexions:
|Skin Tone||Best Purple Shades|
|Fair/Cool||Soft lilac, lavender, light orchid|
|Fair/Warm||Royal purple, jewel tones|
|Medium/Cool||Mauve, eggplant, wine|
|Medium/Warm||Amethyst, plum, grape|
|Deep/Cool||Violet, bold jewel tones|
|Deep/Warm||Royal purple, fuchsia purple|
So feel free to experiment with different purple shades to find what flatters you best!
How to style an outfit with purple
Here are some tips for styling purple clothing and accessories:
- Pair purple with neutrals like black, white, gray, navy, or nude. This creates a more balanced, sophisticated look.
- Combine purple with complementary colors like yellow, green, or pink. This makes the purple pop.
- Mix different shades of purple together – light with dark or warm with cool.
- Add just a pop of purple as an accessory – like shoes, jewelry, scarf, or handbag.
- Look for purple prints and patterns to liven up solids.
- Layer purple over neutral basics or under accented jackets.
And don’t be afraid to get creative – purple can be mixed with lots of colors and patterns for fun stylish outfits.
Purple clothing ideas
Here are some chic and versatile ways to incorporate purple pieces into your wardrobe:
|Purple Clothing Item||How to Wear It|
|Button-up shirt||Tuck into skirts or pants, layer under blazers or sweaters|
|T-shirt||Pair with jeans, shorts, or neutral jackets|
|Sweater||Throw over dresses, layer over collared shirts|
|Blazer||Dress up pants, jeans, dresses, and skirts|
|Cocktail dress||Great for weddings, parties, dates|
|Skirt||Wear with sweaters, blouses, graphic tees|
|Jeans||Casual everyday wear|
|Sneakers||Add pop of color to neutral outfits|
Accessorizing with purple
Don’t overlook purple accessories as an easy way to incorporate this color into your looks. Here are some chic purple accessory ideas:
- Scarves – infinity, winter, neckerchief, lightweight
- Jewelry – necklaces, earrings, rings, bracelets
- Handbags – totes, crossbody, clutches
- Shoes – heels, flats, sandals, sneakers
- Hair accessories – headbands, clips, ties
- Belts – skinny, wide, patterned
- Hats – winter beanies, sun hats, caps
- Phone cases
Purple accessories pull any outfit together and let you incorporate purple in a subtle way.
Purple is a stylish, eye-catching color that flatters everyone. It works for both casual and formal occasions and can be mixed and matched effortlessly. So don’t be afraid to make purple your color. A little bit of purple can go a long way in boosting your outfit and confidence.