Sending thank you cards is a thoughtful way to express your gratitude when someone does something nice for you. Whether it’s a birthday gift, attending a special event, or just being a good friend, taking the time to handwrite a customized card shows how much you appreciate them. Making your own thank you cards allows you to add a more heartfelt, personal touch compared to store-bought cards. With just a few simple supplies, you can create beautiful DIY thank you cards in no time.
Making homemade thank you cards is easy with supplies you likely already have at home. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cardstock or folded note cards
- Assorted decorative paper
- Craft scissors
- Glue stick
- Markers, colored pencils, pens
- Stencils, stamps, or stickers (optional)
Look for cardstock paper in different colors and textures to make a variety of cards. Fold them in half or use pre-folded note cards. Decorative scrapbook paper can be used to make designs on the cards. Collect an assortment of markers, pens, and pencils in various colors to write your message. Glue sticks, scissors, stencils, stamps, and stickers can help decorate the cards.
Making the Card
Follow these steps to start making your own stunning thank you cards:
- Select the card base. This can be a folded piece of cardstock or store-bought note card. Make sure it’s blank on the inside with no writing.
- Decorate the front of the card. Cut out shapes or designs from decorative paper and glue them on. Use stencils, stamps, stickers, or draw designs with markers or colored pencils.
- Write your thank you message inside the card. Date the card if relevant. Mention specifically what you’re thankful for and how much you appreciate their thoughtfulness.
- Sign your name at the bottom of the message. Leave room to write a longer note if needed.
- Embellish the inside of the card. Add stickers, stamps, or small drawings. Glitter pens can add a fun pop.
- Let any glue fully dry before mailing your card. Place it in an envelope with the recipient’s name and address.
Get creative with the decoration possibilities! Here are some easy ideas:
- Cut paper into shapes like hearts, stars, circles, scalloped edges
- Use decorative tape, rickrack, or ribbon
- Add polka dots, stripes, gingham, floral patterns
- Use stencils to create backgrounds
- Glue or draw string, raffia, burlap textures
- Watercolor backgrounds
- Brush lettering for headings
- Sketched flowers, trees, borders
- Splatter paint or ink blot designs
- Modge podge cut out photographs
Mix and match decorating techniques to create all kinds of stylish designs that reflect your personal style.
Thank You Card Ideas
Thank you cards are great for nearly any occasion. Here are some ideas:
|Occasion||Thank You Card Ideas|
|Birthday||Decorate with the person’s age, candles, balloons, confetti, their interests or hobbies|
|Baby shower||Add stitched patterns, flowers, baby footprints|
|Wedding||Use glitter, hearts, rings, roses, bows, doilies|
|Graduation||Add inspirational quotes, graduate cap, diploma|
|Job promotion||Decorate with their career field symbols, briefcase, champagne|
|Thanksgiving||Include autumn leaves, pumpkins, apples, turkey designs|
|Christmas||Add poinsettias, trees, snowflakes, presents, gingerbread men|
|Hostess gift||Make it food, house, or home related|
|Condolences||Keep it simple with minimal decoration|
Match the card design to the occasion and the recipient’s tastes. For example, make a chef-themed card for a friend who loves cooking or tailor it to a child’s favorite cartoon character. Adding personal details makes your thank you card more meaningful.
Once your card base is decorated, it’s time to write your message. Use a black pen for readability, but switch to colored pens or markers for the occasion. Here are some tips for writing:
- Date the card if timing is relevant, like for a birthday or event.
- Start by directly thanking them for the specific gift, act of kindness, or attending your special event.
- Mention how much you appreciate their thoughtfulness and how it made you feel.
- Include any details about enjoying the gift or how you’ll use it.
- Add an anecdote about time spent together if applicable.
- Close with a thoughtful sentiment like “You’re such a wonderful friend!”
Keep your message short but sincere. Your handwritten words and signature make the note more meaningful.
Finally, embellish the inside with small decorations that coordinate with the front. Add stickers, glitter shapes, ribbons, or rubber stamp images fit for the occasion. Make sure any glue is dry before mailing your card. Place it in a matching envelope, address it, and add postage.
Creating personalized thank you cards is an easy DIY craft that shows your gratitude in a heartfelt way. Start with cardstock, decorative paper scraps, art supplies, and embellishments you have at home. Fold the card base and decorate the front using cut out shapes, designs, textures, and other creative techniques. Write your thoughtful message inside by hand. Add finishing touches like stickers or rubber stamp images to coordinate with the front design. Match your card to the occasion, and the recipient is sure to feel your appreciation. With these simple steps, you can handcraft custom thank you cards to wow your loved ones.