When it comes to coloring your hair at home, using a semi-permanent hair color like Revlon Color Silk is a great option. Semi-permanent hair dyes only deposit color and do not use peroxide or ammonia, so they cause less damage to hair. Revlon Color Silk in particular utilizes a triple moisture system with aloe vera, silk protein, and rainblossom extract to condition hair while coloring. This makes Revlon Color Silk gentler on hair than permanent box dyes.
However, to get the best results from Revlon Color Silk, it is important to leave the color on your hair for the recommended processing time. This allows the dye to fully saturate your strands so you achieve vibrant, even color from root to tip. Here is a look at how long you should leave Revlon Color Silk on for optimal results.
The Recommended Processing Time
The instructions on the Revlon Color Silk box recommend leaving the color on your hair for 25-30 minutes. This timeframe allows the dye to thoroughly penetrate and coat your hair. Aim for at least 25 minutes, though you can leave the color on for up to 30 minutes if you want very saturated or dark results.
It is best to set a timer or alarm once you apply the Color Silk so you keep track of the processing time. You do not want to leave semi-permanent dye on too long or it could cause damage. But you also want to leave it on long enough to get good color deposit and gray coverage.
When to Leave On Longer
In some cases, you may want to leave the Revlon Color Silk on your hair a bit longer than the recommended 25-30 minutes:
- If you are covering stubborn grays, leaving the dye on for the full 30 minutes allows more time to achieve gray coverage.
- For darker shades like black or brunette, maxing out the processing time produces richer, more intense color.
- If you have thick, coarse, or porous hair, leaving the color on longer helps it fully penetrate and coat each strand.
- When coloring hair that is longer than shoulder length, you may want to process for the full 30 minutes to saturate the mid-lengths and ends.
So for any of the situations above, aim for the full 30 minute processing time with Revlon Color Silk to get the best color results. The extra few minutes allows the dye to thoroughly saturate every strand.
When to Leave On Less Than 30 Minutes
In other cases, you may find that you do not need to leave the Revlon Color Silk on for a full 30 minutes:
- If you are only doing a root touch-up, 20-25 minutes is usually enough time to cover new growth.
- For lighter shades like blonde or red, 25 minutes is typically sufficient to achieve the desired color.
- If you have fine, thin hair, your strands will absorb the color quickly so you can rinse after 25 minutes.
- Coloring previously dyed hair may only require 20-25 minutes since the cuticle is more porous.
For any of these situations, check on the color development at 20-25 minutes. If your hair has reached the desired shade, you can go ahead and rinse. But if you think it needs a boost, leave the Revlon Color Silk on for the full 30 minutes.
What Happens If You Leave It On Too Long?
While the instructions say you can process Revlon Color Silk for up to 30 minutes, it is possible to leave the dye on too long. Here is what can happen if you leave the color on much longer than recommended:
- The color may over-deposit, resulting in a shade that is darker than intended.
- Your hair could become dry or brittle from over-processing.
- Brassiness and unwanted warm tones may develop, especially with lighter shades.
- The color may fade more quickly since the cuticle has been left open too long.
To avoid these issues, try not to leave Revlon Color Silk on your hair much longer than 30 minutes. If you get distracted and it has been on 45 minutes, your hair should be okay. But the longer you go past the recommended time, the higher the risk of over-processing damage and off tones.
What If You Rinse Too Soon?
On the other hand, if you rinse out the Revlon Color Silk too soon, before the full recommended processing time, you may be disappointed with the results. Here is what can happen if you remove the dye too early:
- The color will look uneven, darker in some spots and patchy in others.
- Your roots may appear lighter or brassy since the dye did not have time to deposit.
- Gray coverage will be incomplete, with stubborn grays peeking through.
- The overall shade will look faded since the color was not given time to develop.
To avoid a splotchy, uneven color result, never rinse the dye before 20 minutes. Give the Revlon Color Silk at least 25-30 minutes to work so your hair gets fully and evenly coated for consistent all-over color.
Tips for Maximizing Processing Time
Here are some tips to ensure you leave the Revlon Color Silk on your hair for the recommended processing time:
- Read the instructions thoroughly so you know the advised timing before starting.
- Set a phone timer or alarm when you apply the dye to keep track of minutes.
- Only apply the color once you have time to leave it on the full processing time.
- Check on the dye’s progress at 20-25 minutes to see if it needs longer.
- Do not mix the color until you are ready to apply it and time the processing.
- Have all rinse-out materials like shampoo ready so you can wash promptly.
Taking these steps will help ensure you get the right processing time to achieve beautiful color results from your Revlon Color Silk dye.
What About Leaving It On Overnight?
Some people wonder if they can apply Revlon Color Silk or other semi-permanent dyes before bed and leave it in overnight while they sleep. This is not recommended for several reasons:
- Leaving dye on for 8+ hours risks significant damage and dryness from over-processing.
- The color is more likely to bleed onto pillowcases, towels, and pajamas if left on overnight.
- Your skin is more likely to react with redness, itching, or irritation from prolonged dye exposure.
- The color may oxidize and fade faster since the cuticle has been left open so long.
For best results, only keep the Revlon Color Silk on your hair for the advised 25-30 minutes. Leaving semi-permanent dye on overnight is risky and provides no added benefits. Stick to the recommended processing time for vibrant, healthy-looking color.
When using Revlon Color Silk hair dye, aim to leave it on your hair for 25-30 minutes. This allows the color to fully develop so your strands get coated evenly from roots to ends. Going a few minutes over 30 is not a disaster, but don’t exceed 45 minutes to avoid damage from over-processing. Leaving the dye on overnight is never recommended. Set a timer so you don’t rinse too soon or go way over the advised processing time. Following these guidelines results in optimal color with Revlon Color Silk.
This table provides a quick reference for how long to leave on different Revlon Color Silk shades to get optimal results. Light blondes and reds may only need 25 minutes, while darker browns and black should be left on for the full 30 minutes. But no matter what shade you choose, never exceed 30 minutes of processing time with Revlon Color Silk hair color.
How Long to Wait Between Colorings
In addition to following the advised processing time, it is also important to wait an adequate interval between coloring your hair with Revlon Color Silk. Here are some general guidelines:
- Wait at least 4 weeks between full color applications. Coloring more often can cause damage.
- You can do root touch-ups after 3 weeks if needed to conceal new growth.
- Always do a strand test first to ensure hair is healthy enough for re-coloring.
- Use a deep conditioning hair mask weekly to keep hair strong between colorings.
- Go longer between colorings during warmer months when hair is more fragile.
While Revlon Color Silk is gentler than permanent dye, repeated coloring can still weaken and dry your hair over time. Letting hair recover fully between applications helps maintain healthy, vibrant color. Speak to a stylist if you have questions about how often you can safely re-color.
What Other Revlon Colors Have Similar Timing?
In addition to Revlon Color Silk, Revlon makes other types of hair color designed for home use. The processing time is similar for other Revlon coloring products:
- Revlon Colorsilk Luminista – Leave on for 25-30 minutes
- Revlon Premium Colorsilk – Leave on for 25-30 minutes
- Revlon Total Color – Leave on for 20-30 minutes
- Revlon Frost and Glow – Leave on for 20-30 minutes
- Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color – Leave on for 25-30 minutes
So whether you are using Revlon’s Color Silk, Total Color, Luminista, or another formula, the processing time will be around 25-30 minutes. Always carefully follow the instructions for any at-home hair dye product.
Should You Do a Strand Test First?
Before coloring your whole head with Revlon Color Silk or any other box dye, it’s a good idea to do a strand test first. Here’s why it is recommended:
- It shows you how the color will develop on your hair.
- Lets you test for any potential allergic reaction.
- Reveals if hair is too porous or damaged for coloring.
- Allows you to fine tune the processing time for your hair.
To do a strand test:
- Select a 1-2 inch section of hair near your face.
- Separate the section and apply dye following the instructions.
- Time the processing and rinse when finished.
- Evaluate the results and color development after drying.
- Tweak the timing up or down before doing your whole head.
Taking this simple step helps ensure you get your desired shade and minimizes risks before committing to an all-over color application. It takes a bit of extra time but can save major disasters!
What About a Patch Test for Allergies?
In addition to a strand test, you may want to do a skin patch test before using Revlon Color Silk or any dye if you have sensitivities. Here’s how:
- Cleanse a small area of skin near your face or arm.
- Mix a pea size amount of color cream and apply to the area.
- Leave on for 24-48 hours checking for any reaction.
- If no irritation occurs, you can safely proceed with coloring.
- If you see redness, itching or burning, rinse immediately and avoid that formula.
This simple patch test can identify any potential allergies and prevent full scalp exposure to a problematic ingredient. While semi-permanent dyes like Revlon Color Silk are gentler, it’s still smart to test before every new application.
What Are Some Safety Tips?
When using at-home hair color like Revlon Color Silk, keep these basic safety tips in mind:
- Carefully read and follow all instructions.
- Conduct skin and strand tests before each application.
- Only apply to clean, unconditioned hair for best results.
- Wear the included gloves during application to protect skin.
- Work in a well-ventilated area and avoid inhaling fumes.
- Rinse dye from surfaces immediately if spilled to prevent staining.
- Throw away unused dye rather than saving for later applications.
Taking appropriate precautions helps minimize risks like skin reactions, unsatisfactory color results, and hair damage. Be patient and careful while applying Revlon Color Silk or any box hair dye.
What Are Some Application Tips?
Using the right techniques while applying Revlon Color Silk can give you beautiful, even color from root to tip. Here are some useful application tips:
- Always start applying color at your roots first then work to your ends.
- Section hair cleanly and neatly using clips.
- Saturate each section fully from roots to ends.
- Use a tint or application brush for easy, mess-free application.
- Massage dye into hair to help penetrate every strand.
- Avoid applying directly to your scalp or skin.
- Use a mirror to see the back sections so they get fully covered.
- If using two kits, apply your root color first then ends.
Correct application techniques give the Revlon Color Silk enough time and contact to deposit pigment evenly across every part of your hair. This helps prevent splotchy or uneven final results. Follow the steps above for flawless coverage from root to tip!
Does Revlon Color Silk Fade Quickly?
One common concern with semi-permanent dyes like Revlon Color Silk is fading. Because the color merely coats the cuticle rather than penetrating the cortex like permanent dye, it does not have as much staying power. Here are some tips to make Revlon Color Silk last longer:
- Shampoo less frequently, only 2-3 times per week.
- Rinse with cool water instead of hot to seal the cuticle.
- Use a sulfate-free color protecting shampoo and conditioner.
- Avoid too much sun exposure which can fade hair faster.
- Use an at-home glossing treatment between colorings.
- Get a root touch-up before color starts looking dull.
While semi-permanent dye won’t last as long as permanent, you can stretch out your Revlon Color Silk results longer with proper maintenance. Limit washing, use protective products, and refresh the color with root touch-ups as needed.
Getting gorgeous salon-worthy hair color at home is easy with Revlon Color Silk