Roll and Color is a fun and easy dice game that can be played by people of all ages. The game helps develop color recognition and counting skills. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to play Roll and Color.
What You Need to Play Roll and Color
To play Roll and Color, you will need the following materials:
- 1 six-sided die
- Paper and coloring supplies like crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- Roll and Color game sheet
The game sheet should have six sections, one for each color of the die and each section should have spaces to color a certain number of objects. For example, the red section will have spaces to color 1-6 apples, the blue section will have spaces for 1-6 balloons, and so on.
Setting Up the Game
To set up Roll and Color:
- Print out a Roll and Color game sheet or make your own on a blank piece of paper.
- Make sure each player has paper and coloring supplies readily available.
- Decide the order of play.
|Number of Objects
How to Play
Once set up, follow these steps to play Roll and Color:
- The first player rolls the die.
- They find the section on the game sheet that matches the color rolled.
- The player then colors in the number of objects in that section as indicated on the die.
- For example, if the player rolls a blue 5, they would color 5 blue balloons in the blue section.
- The next player takes a turn rolling the die and coloring the corresponding objects.
- If a player rolls a color they have already colored completely, they miss that turn.
- The game continues until a player has colored all the objects in every section.
Roll and Color Variations
There are many ways to vary Roll and Color to increase the excitement and challenge:
- Add more dice: Use two dice and have players color the sum of the dice.
- Race to finish: See who can color their entire game sheet first.
- Color by number: Call out numbers instead of rolling and have players color that many objects.
- Mix up objects: Vary the objects in each color section – stars, hearts, squares, etc.
- Super Roll and Color: Make a bigger game board with more sections and objects.
Educational Benefits of Roll and Color
Playing Roll and Color provides many educational benefits for children including:
- Color recognition: Matching dice rolls to colored sections helps kids learn colors.
- Counting: Counting out number of objects to color boosts counting ability.
- Fine motor skills: Coloring objects carefully strengthens finger muscles.
- Following directions: Listening to rules and completing game steps builds focus.
- Creativity: Making unique colored objects encourages imagination.
Tips for Playing Roll and Color
Here are some helpful tips for getting the most out of Roll and Color:
- Start with just 3-4 colors and add more as kids improve.
- Use large 1-inch dice for little hands.
- Go slow and help count/color if needed.
- Give hints about missing colors if a player gets stuck.
- Offer praise for taking turns, coloring neatly.
- Use washable markers and table cover for easy clean-up.
Fun Ways to Make Your Own Roll and Color Game
You can easily create your own custom Roll and Color game at home. Here are some fun theme ideas:
|Monkeys, tigers, snakes, parrots, frogs, elephants
|Pigs, cows, horses, tractors, barns, fences
|Rockets, planets, aliens, spaceships, stars, asteroids
|Fish, whales, shells, waves, boats, octopus
|Cars, trucks, trains, planes, bikes, buses
Use your child’s interests or favorite cartoons/movies to customize the pictures. Let their creativity shine through in the objects they color.
Playing Roll and Color Online
Don’t have dice or a printer at home? No problem! You can play Roll and Color online with virtual dice and digital coloring sheets.
Here are some great websites for playing Roll and Color on tablets, phones, or computers:
- ABCya Roll and Color – Simple version with sea theme
- Funbrain Color Roll – Fun jungle animals theme
- Turtle Diary Roll and Color – Color by sums with unique theme
- Education.com Color Roll – Practice number recognition
These digital versions help build the same skills as the original Roll and Color game in a high-tech way kids love.
Roll and Color is an engaging dice game that secretly teaches important skills in colors, counting, fine motor control, and following directions. With a simple die and game sheet, plus some creativity, you can have endless fun customizing Roll and Color themes while watching your child learn through play.
So gather some coloring supplies, make a game board, and get ready to roll, color and learn!