Printing in color on an HP LaserJet Pro MFP is easy if you follow a few simple steps. The key requirements are having a color LaserJet Pro MFP model, using original HP color toner cartridges, and configuring the print settings appropriately in the printer driver. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk through everything you need to know to start printing vivid color documents and photos from your HP LaserJet Pro MFP.
Check You Have a Color LaserJet Pro MFP Model
The first step is making sure you have a LaserJet Pro MFP model that supports color printing. Many HP LaserJet printers are monochrome only, meaning they can only print in black and white. Color capable models include:
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M181fw
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M183fw
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M182n
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdn
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdn
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdw
You can check the model number on the front or top of the printer. Please consult the product documentation if you are unsure whether your LaserJet Pro MFP supports color. The model must specify “Color” in the name to be capable of color printing.
Use Original HP Color Toner Cartridges
HP LaserJet printers rely on toner powder to form the text and images on a page. Standard black toner allows monochrome printing. To print in color, you need the full set of HP original color toner cartridges: cyan, magenta, yellow, and black (CMYK).
The toner cartridges slide into place side by side within the printer. On most models, the toner door can be found on the front near the bottom. The color toner cartridges may be sold together in a single package or available for purchase individually. Here are some compatible HP color toner cartridge sets for LaserJet Pro MFP models:
|Toner Cartridge Set
|HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M181fw
|HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M183fw
|HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M182n
|HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdn/M281fdw
|HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283fdn/M283fdw
Using compatible original HP toner cartridges ensures optimal print quality and performance. Avoid third-party or remanufactured cartridges which may cause issues. With fresh color toner installed, your LaserJet Pro MFP will be ready for color printing!
Configure Color Settings in Printer Driver
The final step is to ensure your print driver settings are configured for color. The print driver is the software that allows your computer to interface with the printer. Follow these steps:
- Open the document you want to print. Go to File > Print to access the printing menu.
- Select your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP as the target printer.
- Click on Properties or Preferences to open the printer driver settings.
- Go to the Color tab. Set the Color Mode to “Color” instead of “Black and White.”
- Confirm the other default settings are selected. Click OK to save.
Now when you print the document, it will output in full color on your LaserJet Pro MFP! Most software programs will remember these print driver settings as well.
Here are some tips for best color printing results:
- Use high quality color paper intended for laser printers. Avoid cheap photocopy paper.
- Select the highest print resolution setting possible for sharp detail and images.
- Match paper settings like type and size in both the software program and printer driver.
- If colors look faded, try replacing the color toner cartridges.
If you follow these steps but are still unable to print in color on your HP LaserJet Pro MFP, here are some troubleshooting tips:
Issue: Only printing in black and white
- Ensure you have a color capable LaserJet Pro MFP model.
- Verify all original HP CMYK toner cartridges are properly installed.
- Check print driver settings and set to Color mode instead of Black and White mode.
Issue: Color prints look faded
- One or more toner cartridges may be low on toner. Check levels and replace empty cartridges.
- Try using higher quality color laser paper for more vivid results.
- Clean the scanner glass and rollers inside the MFP for optimal color registration.
Issue: Colors look inaccurate
- Make sure the original HP color toner cartridges match your specific LaserJet Pro model.
- Run a calibration procedure from the printer menu to align colors.
- Adjust the Color Balance settings in the print driver to improve color rendering.
Still having issues? Contact HP support online or by phone for troubleshooting help. Provide your specific LaserJet model details and a clear description of the color printing problem.
Printing vivid color documents and images on an HP LaserJet Pro MFP is simple when you use a color-capable model, install matching original HP toner cartridges, and properly configure the print driver settings for color output. Optimized color results can be achieved by using high quality color laser paper and keeping your cartridges fresh. Follow the steps provided in this guide and you will be producing professional color prints from your LaserJet Pro MFP in no time!