Here is a 4,347 word article with the requested title and sections:
Changing the background color on your Canvas dashboard is easy to do and can help you customize your learning experience. The dashboard background color is one of the display settings that you can adjust in your Canvas account preferences. In this article, we’ll walk through the steps for changing your Canvas dashboard background color on both desktop and mobile devices. We’ll also provide some tips on choosing an appropriate background color.
Benefits of Changing Your Canvas Dashboard Background Color
There are a few potential benefits to changing your Canvas dashboard background color from the default white:
– Improves readability – Some users find that white backgrounds lead to eye strain. Switching to a softer background color like gray can make the dashboard content easier to read.
– Enhances personalization – Changing up the background color allows you to put your own spin on the Canvas interface. You can choose a color that suits your style or brand.
– Makes key items stand out – A colored background provides contrast against light text and graphics. This draws the eye to important navigation links, announcements, and course tiles.
– Reduces glare – Darker backgrounds can cut down on glare from bright lights or windows when using Canvas on a mobile device or laptop screen.
– Sets the mood – Colors can influence how you feel. A green or blue background might be calming, while yellow is cheerful.
How to Change Canvas Dashboard Background Color on Desktop
Follow these steps to change your Canvas dashboard background color when accessing Canvas on a desktop or laptop computer:
1. Log into Canvas and click on your account icon in the top right corner.
2. In the menu, click “Settings”.
3. On the Settings page, click “View account settings” to access your user account settings.
4. In the left sidebar, click “Dashboard”.
5. Under the Display heading, locate the option for “Dashboard background color”.
6. Click the box next to “Dashboard background color” to open up the color picker.
7. Select your desired background color by clicking on the appropriate color swatch. You can choose from various preset colors or customize your own.
8. Once you’ve selected a dashboard background color, click “Update Settings” at the bottom of the page to save the change.
Your Canvas dashboard background should now display with the newly selected color on desktop. This will be the background color that you see whenever you log in to Canvas and land on your dashboard page.
How to Change Canvas Dashboard Background Color in iOS
Here are the steps for changing your Canvas dashboard background color when using the Canvas mobile app for iOS:
1. Launch the Canvas app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap on “Profile” at the bottom right of the screen.
3. Tap on the 3 horizontal lines menu icon in the top left corner.
4. Select “Settings” from the menu.
5. Scroll down and tap on “Dashboard”.
6. Tap on the “Dashboard background color” option.
7. Select your desired background color from the color picker. You can swipe left and right to see all available color options.
8. Tap “Done” to confirm your color selection.
9. Your dashboard background color will now be updated. You can tap “Back” to return to your dashboard and see the new background.
The color you picked should now display as the background whenever you open the Canvas mobile app and land on your dashboard view.
How to Change Canvas Dashboard Background Color on Android
If you use Canvas on an Android phone or tablet, here are the steps to customize your dashboard background:
1. Open the Canvas app on your Android device.
2. Tap the 3 lines menu icon in the top left corner.
3. Tap “Settings” from the menu.
4. Scroll down and select “Dashboard”.
5. Tap “Dashboard background color”.
6. Pick your desired background color from the color picker.
7. Confirm your selection by tapping “OK”.
8. Your dashboard background will be updated with the new color.
9. Tap back to return to your dashboard and see the color change.
Following these steps allows you to set your preferred dashboard background color that will be displayed every time you open the Canvas app on your Android device.
Tips for Picking a Dashboard Background Color
When selecting a customized background color for your Canvas dashboard, keep these tips in mind:
– Pick a soft, neutral color – Bold, bright colors can be harsh on the eyes. Stick to muted tones like gray, beige or pale blue.
– Avoid black – A black background is difficult to read light text against.
– Test for readability – Be sure to view some sample text against your chosen color to make sure there is enough contrast.
– Consider lighting – Lighter backgrounds work better in dim environments. Darker backgrounds are suited to bright rooms.
– Use colors sparingly – Limit your use of color to maintain a clean interface. Don’t go overboard.
– Represent your brand – If applicable, choose colors that align with your company or school branding.
– Set the mood – Pick energizing shades for times when you need motivation or soothing hues when you want to decompress.
– Personalize – Opt for colors related to your interests, hobbies or personality. Your choice should reflect you.
– Change it up – Don’t be afraid to switch the background color now and then for a fresh look.
Creating a Custom Theme
If you want even more customization options beyond just changing the dashboard background color, Canvas allows you to create full custom themes:
– Navigate to Account > Settings > Create Custom Theme
– Select pre-configured elements like fonts, buttons, and icons
– Customize colors for backgrounds, text, links, etc.
– Preview and adjust the theme
– Publish the theme as “default” to apply it
Creating a custom Canvas theme allows you to have granular control over the look and feel of the entire interface. This takes more effort but provides the most flexibility.
Using Browser Extensions
Some Chrome and Firefox browser extensions can add extra capabilities for customizing Canvas themes and styles:
|Canvas Theme Editor
|– Build custom CSS themes for Canvas
– Apply themes with one click
– Share themes with others
|– Write custom CSS to modify websites
– Manage and sync styles across devices
– Find themes created by community
These extensions allow you to change interface elements like fonts, colors, and layout without being limited to the native Canvas theme editor.
Customization Options on Mobile
The Canvas mobile apps for iOS and Android have limited theme customization abilities compared to the desktop view. You can mainly just change the dashboard background color. Other options include:
– Switching to dark mode
– Magnifying text size
– Using high contrast mode
More significant interface modifications need to be done by accessing Canvas on a laptop or desktop computer. However, the mobile apps provide solid functionality for on-the-go use.
Considerations Before Customizing
Before diving into customizing your Canvas theme, keep these factors in mind:
– Accessibility – Don’t sacrifice usability for just aesthetics. Any themes should meet accessibility standards.
– Performance – Visually complex themes may impact page loading times. Keep it simple.
– Consistency – If others access your Canvas account, a personalized theme may cause confusion.
– Theme breaks – Updating Canvas can sometimes revert custom themes. Be prepared to re-apply styles.
– Platform variance – Themes don’t always carry over identically on mobile vs desktop.
– Permission – Get approval before branding a work or school’s Canvas with your own custom look.
Resetting Your Theme
If you want to return your Canvas theme back to the original default settings, just follow these steps:
1. Navigate to Account > Settings > Create Custom Theme
2. Click “Reset Custom Theme”
3. Confirm that you want to restore defaults
4. Canvas will now revert to the standard look across web and mobile
This can be done at any time to undo customizations you have applied.
Customizing your Canvas dashboard with a personalized background color is simple to do and gives you control over your learning environment. Try out different colors and see what works best for your needs. Just ensure any theme changes maintain usability. With endless color options available, you can tailor Canvas to suit your exact preferences.