Blue is a timeless and versatile color that has remained one of the most popular shades for home interiors and exteriors. With its calming and tranquil qualities, blue evokes feelings of relaxation and serenity. Blue also represents stability, wisdom and confidence. When incorporated correctly, different tones of blue can completely transform the look and feel of a space.
Sherwin-Williams offers over 50 shades of blue paint to choose from. Their collection spans from soft powder blues to bold navy hues. With so many options to pick from, what is the most popular blue paint color from Sherwin-Williams?
Overview of Sherwin-Williams Most Popular Blues
Sherwin-Williams reveals their most popular paint colors each year on their Colormix Forecast. Looking at the past decade of these annual reports provides insight into the top shades of blue homeowners and designers continue reaching for.
Here are some of their best-selling blue paint colors over the years:
- Sea Salt SW 9654 – soft green-blue
- Rain SW 9183 – airy, light blue
- Oceanside SW 6496 – brightened medium blue
- Naval SW 6244 – rich navy blue
- Skyline Steel SW 7065 – grey-blue
- Mindful Gray SW 7016 – green-blue grey
- Peppercorn SW 7674 – deep green-blue
- Bluebird SW 2739 – vivid mid-tone blue
- Pacific NW SW 9557 – muted blue green
These shades cover the spectrum from pale powder blues to dramatic navy hues. So while individuals colors go in and out of style, blue as a whole remains one of Sherwin-Williams most asked for paint colors.
Most Popular Blue from Sherwin-Williams
If picking just one stand-out blue paint color from Sherwin-Williams, their data shows Coastal Plain SW 9582 takes the lead. This airy powder blue first entered the Colormix Forecast in 2018. It has consistently ranked as one of Sherwin-Williams best-selling blues since then.
Coastal Plain SW 9582 is a soft baby blue with subtle hints of green. It’s light and desaturated appearance makes it an extremely versatile shade. Coastal Plain works equally well in traditional or modern spaces, as well as casual or formal rooms.
This pale blue paint has widespread appeal. It creates a calming oasis in bedrooms, keeps kitchens looking clean and bright, and opens up smaller spaces. The barely-there hue of Coastal Plain makes it perfect for coloring an entire open concept home.
Tips for Incorporating Coastal Plain SW 9582
If you’re looking to bring this crowd-pleasing blue into your home, here are some top tips for using it successfully:
- Add warmth – Pair Coastal Plain with peach, coral and warm metallics to give the blue added vibrancy.
- Increase contrast – Use crisp white trims for definition against subtle blue walls. Natural woods also pop nicely.
- Layer textures – Coastal Plain works magic when combined with natural fibers like linen and jute.
- Mix patterns – Offset soothing blue walls with kinetic Moroccan tiles or colorful ikat prints.
- Highlight with brass – Polished brass is the perfect metallic to illuminate soft powder blue.
Coastal Plain serves as a beautiful blank canvas to layer other hues and textures on top of. Keeping accessories, furnishings and accent walls colorful prevents the pale blue from feeling flat or washed out.
Spaces Suited for Coastal Plain SW 9582
Here are the areas of the home where popular Coastal Plain works particularly well:
- Bedrooms – Peaceful and dreamy for restful sleep.
- Bathrooms – Crisp and relaxing in harmony with white tilework.
- Kitchens – Ethereal and appetizing, especially for cottage style spaces.
- Offices – Serene and focused, perfect for home workspaces.
- Living Rooms – Airy and welcoming, invites conversation and connection.
- Dining Rooms – Elegant for formal entertaining or casual family meals.
Coastal Plain works in nearly any room but really shines in bedrooms and baths where its calming qualities can be fully appreciated.
Tones that Complement Coastal Plain SW 9582
Certain colors naturally pair up well with light blue. Here are hues that beautifully complement the softness of Coastal Plain:
- White – Crisp, bright, and timeless
- Light gray
- Light green
- Airy teal
- Powder pink
- Butter yellow
Colors in the white, gray, green and pink families add energy and dimension to light blue walls without competing. Crisp whites keep the hue fresh and beachy, while subtle greens connect it back to nature.
Alternative Blue Paint Colors
While Coastal Plain SW 9582 ranks as the overall most sought-after blue at Sherwin-Williams, here are some alternative top-selling blue paint colors from their line-up:
Oceanside SW 6496
A vivid cerulean blue with moderate depth. This sky-inspired hue adds cheerful pops of color without going overly bold.
Rain SW 9183
A soft, welcoming blue green with airy gray undertones. This versatile pale hue encourages relaxation.
Naval SW 6244
A rich navy that creates crisp, sharp contrast. Sophisticated for traditional spaces or contemporary lofts.
Peppercorn SW 7674
An elegant deep teal whose green undertones give it an organic earthiness. Perfect for creating a refined retreat.
Coastal Plain SW 9582 leads as the most requested blue paint color from Sherwin-Williams. This crowd-pleasing powder blue offers a soft, calming elegance. It works well throughout the home but truly shines when used in bedrooms and bathrooms.
Pairing Coastal Plain with white trim and warm metallics like brass keeps the pale blue looking crisp and inviting. While lighter blues remain popular, navy blues like Naval SW 6244 add gorgeous contrast and depth.
With so many beautiful blues to pick from, you’re sure to find the perfect tranquil tone to suit your space from Sherwin-Williams iconic collection of paints.