Purple is a bold, regal color that can make a striking fashion statement. However, wearing purple requires some thought to pull off successfully. Here are some tips on how to wear purple clothes with confidence:
Choose the Right Shade for You
Purple spans a wide spectrum, from pale lavender to deep eggplant. The shade you choose impacts the overall look and feel. Lighter purples like lilac and mauve have a soft, feminine vibe. Jewel tones like amethyst and violet convey richness. When selecting a purple, consider:
- Skin tone – Cooler purples complement fair skin, while warmer purples flatter darker complexions.
- Hair color – Purple pops against black or blonde hair. If you have red or auburn hair, purples with similar undertones are more harmonious.
- Eye color – Purple emphasizes green and brown eyes. Blue and hazel eyes shine with purples of a different hue.
- Personal style – Pastels for a delicate look, brights for drama, and deeper shades for sophistication.
Having trouble choosing? A medium lavender or lilac works well on most people.
Coordinate Purple with Other Colors
Purple has a bold presence, so it’s important to pair it with colors that enhance rather than compete with it. Some foolproof color combinations include:
- Purple and grey – Grey’s versatility allows purple to take center stage.
- Purple and white – Crisp white makes purple pop while lightening up the look.
- Purple and black – A classic, high-contrast pair that’s always in style.
- Purple and green – Complementary colors on the color wheel that create visual interest.
- Purple and silver – Silvery accents lend a futuristic vibe.
- Purple and gold – Luxe combination evoking royalty.
Avoid matching purple with other jewel tones or loud prints, which can look chaotic. Neutrals and metallics let purple shine.
Select the Right Purple Pieces
Purple makes the biggest style statement in bolder pieces versus subtle accents. Focus on one or two main purple items. Possibilities include:
- Dresses – A purple dress is guaranteed to get you noticed.
- Tops – Purple shirts and blouses dance the line between basic and bold.
- Sweaters – In cooler weather, rich purple sweaters exude coziness.
- Pants – Purple trousers offer an alternative to basic blues and blacks.
- Skirts – A vivid purple skirt paired with a muted top creates balance.
- Jackets – A purple blazer or coat immediately elevates a look.
- Shoes – Purple heels, flats, or sneakers serve as a focal point.
- Bags – A purple purse provides a pop of color.
- Jewelry – Purple pendants, earrings, or a cocktail ring make pretty accents.
Then pull the rest of the outfit together with neutral basics or complementary colors.
Mind the Details
Well-chosen accessories and thoughtful styling take your purple outfit to the next level:
- Metallic shoes, bag, or jewelry make purple pop against silver or gold.
- Add texture with details like lace, ruffles, or studs.
- Tie in purple eye makeup for a monochromatic vibe.
- Layer pale purple over black for a goth-glam aesthetic.
- Mix purple scales or animal prints for an exotic feel.
- Incorporate purple florals and nature motifs.
- Use silky purple pieces for a luxurious sensibility.
Pay attention to fit as well. Tailored silhouettes in quality fabrics project polish.
Occasions for Wearing Purple
Beyond everyday wear, purple works beautifully for:
- Cocktail Parties – An eggplant dress is cocktail hour perfection.
- The Office – Sharp purple blazers and sheath dresses say you mean business.
- Formal Events – Regal purple gowns are ideal for black tie affairs.
- Weddings – For guests, a chic purple suit or dress conveys celebration.
- Night Out – Vibrant purple is ideal for hitting the club or bar scene.
- Concerts – Stand out in the crowd in purple jeans and rock tees.
Purple sets the mood for fun. It also symbolizes creativity, wisdom, and imagination.
Examples of Stylish Purple Outfits
Here are five chic ways to incorporate purple into your wardrobe:
- Pale purple sweater
- Blue skinny jeans
- Tan ankle boots
- Purple beanie
This casual outfit combines a soft purple sweater with denim and neutral boots. The purple beanie echoes the top without being matchy-matchy. It’s perfect for brunch or a day of shopping.
- Purple blazer
- White button down
- Black trousers
- Black pumps
Make a power statement at the office with a tailored purple blazer over a crisp white shirt, black pants, and sleek pumps. It conveys professionalism with a pop of personality.
- Amethyst gown
- Diamond jewelry
- Silver clutch
- Strappy heels
An elegant amethyst evening gown paired with sparkling diamonds, a metallic clutch, and strappy sandals is perfect for black tie affairs. The jewel tones evoke luxury.
Girls’ Night Out
- Violet bodycon mini dress
- Gold statement necklace
- Gold hoops
- Ankle strap heels
Turn heads on a girls’ night out in a figure-hugging violet mini dress and bold gold accessories like a statement necklace, hoop earrings, and ankle strap heels. Fun and flirty!
Casual Dinner Date
- Purple silk top
- Black jeans
- Black booties
- Purple clutch
Look put-together for a dinner date in a purple silk blouse, black skinny jeans, black booties, and a matching purple clutch. It’s chic but comfortable.
Purple makes a vibrant style choice. From light lavender to deep eggplant shades, it expresses individuality. Choose a shade suited to your complexion. Pair it with silver, grey, white, black or green for a harmonious look. Incorporate purple in dresses, tops, pants, shoes, jewelry and accessories. Mind the details with textures, prints and tailoring. Wear it for daytime, work, evenings out, parties and formal occasions. With proper coordination, purple conveys creativity, wisdom and imagination. In a sea of blacks and blues, purple is a breath of fresh air.
|Purple Shade||Matches Well With||Avoid Pairing With|
|Pale Lavender||Greys, blacks, blues||Bright jewel tones|
|Lilac||Creams, pinks, metallics||Browns, neon colors|
|Violet||Greens, golds, blacks||Oranges, loud prints|
|Eggplant||Tans, earth tones, olive green||Red, yellow|
|Amethyst||Silvers, greys, blues||Warm brights|
This table summarizes flattering color pairings for different shades of purple clothing. Matching purple’s undertones creates pleasing, cohesive looks.