Bose Soundlink speakers are popular portable Bluetooth speakers that allow you to wirelessly play music from your smartphone, tablet, or other Bluetooth-enabled device. While Soundlink speakers normally work quite reliably, you may occasionally encounter issues that require you to reset or force restart the speaker.
Force restarting or resetting the speaker erases its current Bluetooth pairings and returns it to factory default settings. This can resolve problems like the speaker not turning on or connecting to devices, unexpected behaviors, or issues caused by outdated firmware. A forced restart gives the speaker a fresh start to hopefully get it working properly again.
When to Force Restart a Bose Soundlink Speaker
Some common situations when you may want to force restart your Soundlink speaker include:
- The speaker won’t power on
- The speaker powers on but won’t connect to your device via Bluetooth
- You are unable to control the speaker from your device
- The speaker is behaving erratically or freezing
- You want to factory reset the speaker before selling or gifting it
If basic troubleshooting steps like charging the speaker, turning your device’s Bluetooth off and on, or moving the speaker closer to the device do not resolve the issues, a forced restart may be necessary.
How to Force Restart a Bose Soundlink Speaker
The steps to force restart a Bose Soundlink speaker vary slightly depending on the specific model. Here are the basic processes for common Soundlink speakers:
Bose Soundlink Mini/Mini II
- Press and hold the power button on the speaker for 10-15 seconds until the speaker turns off.
- Release the power button.
- Press and hold the power button again for one second to turn the speaker back on.
Bose Soundlink Color/Color II
- Press and hold the power button and the Bluetooth button simultaneously for 10-15 seconds until the speaker turns off.
- Release both buttons.
- Press the power button again to turn the speaker back on.
Bose Soundlink Micro
- Press and hold the Bluetooth button and the Volume down button concurrently for 10-15 seconds until the speaker turns off.
- Let go of the buttons.
- Press the power button to turn the speaker back on.
Bose Soundlink Revolve/Revolve+
- Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds until the speaker turns off.
- Release the button.
- Press the power button again to restart the speaker.
What to Expect After Force Restarting
Here is what will happen after you force restart your Bose Soundlink speaker:
- The speaker will power off and turn back on.
- Any Bluetooth connections to mobile devices will be cleared from the speaker’s memory.
- The speaker will return to factory default settings, erasing any customized settings.
- You may need to reconnect and re-pair your Bluetooth device(s) to the speaker.
- In some cases, you may need to update to the latest speaker firmware after a reset.
After resetting the speaker, try using it as normal to see if the issues you were experiencing have been resolved. In most cases, a force restart clears up problems with Soundlink speakers. However, if issues persist, you may need to contact Bose support for additional troubleshooting assistance.
Tips for Avoiding Needing to Force Restart
Here are some tips to potentially prevent issues that would require force restarting your Soundlink speaker:
- Update the speaker to the latest firmware periodically or when prompted using the Bose Connect app.
- Charge the speaker fully between uses.
- Clean the speaker’s charging contacts with a dry cloth if it is having trouble charging.
- Keep the speaker away from excessive heat, cold, humidity or moisture.
- Reset the speaker to factory defaults before selling or gifting it to erase personal data.
Following Bose’s usage and care guidelines can optimize performance and minimize problems. However, even with proper handling, resets may be unavoidable over time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does force restarting delete my Bluetooth pairings?
Yes, force restarting erases all previously paired Bluetooth devices from the speaker’s memory. You will need to re-pair your smartphone, tablet, etc. after resetting.
Will I lose the speaker’s software updates if I force restart?
No, resetting the speaker does not revert the firmware to a previous version or erase software updates. However, you may want to check for firmware updates after resetting.
Do I need to reconfigure settings after force restarting?
Yes, any custom settings like preferred speaker name, voice prompt language, etc. will be erased and returned to defaults. You may want to reconfigure these settings after a reset.
Should I reset my Soundlink before selling it or giving it away?
Yes, it’s recommended to force restart to factory default settings before transferring ownership to erase your personal data and Bluetooth pairings.
Force restarting or resetting a Bose Soundlink speaker is a simple process that can often resolve a variety of issues with the speaker not powering on, connecting, or functioning normally. To reset, locate the appropriate button combination for your speaker model and hold for 10-15 seconds until the speaker powers off. Then power it back on and re-pair your devices. With a fresh start after resetting, your Soundlink speaker should be ready to wirelessly play your music again in no time.
|Bose Soundlink Model||Button Combination to Hold||Approx. Hold Time|
|Mini/Mini II||Power button||10-15 seconds|
|Color/Color II||Power + Bluetooth buttons||10-15 seconds|
|Micro||Bluetooth + Volume down buttons||10-15 seconds|
|Revolve/Revolve+||Power button||10-15 seconds|
Refer to the table above to quickly find the button combination and hold time required to force restart your specific Bose Soundlink model. Knowing the proper reset procedure for your speaker can save time and frustration if you need to factory reset it to resolve issues.